Gauges or the cluster?

/ Gauges or the cluster? #2  
Hi Bob,
We use both, individual gages on the farm pro and combination on the KAMAs.

The individual gages can be replaced one at a time, the cluster is an all or none affair. BUT the ind. gages seem to fail a little more often (not drastic). Of course the 2" holes lend themselve well to upgrading to better gages.

/ Gauges or the cluster? #4  
My 284 LE has individual gauges and I think I prefer them for the reasons that Chip gave you. They can be changed at the auto parts store.

Bill

/ Gauges or the cluster? #5  
The chinese cluster gauges, when they first appeared, were unreliable, and when one went bad, had to replace the whole unit. Some dealers had a "special" clause in warrantee for cluster gauges /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif They have improved to where they are generally more reliable than the individual gauges. The cluster gauges look better, have less wiring mess, and less install errors.

The individual gauges still have the ease of converting to other brand gauges. Many people replace the water temp and oil pressure with mechanical types. Maybe they have improved as well, but the older ones did have fogging, and were tempermental at times (fuel gauge). The older individual gauges were metric and the water temp sweeped to the left as engine got warmer. Not a problem, just weird. The individual gauges probably have more sweep, but doesn't mean they produce a more accurate reading. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Converting the tach, is probably somewhat of challenge, finding one that works off same type sensor. ie no coil on diesel to use one of the low cost electrical tachs.

/ Gauges or the cluster? #6  
I got to go with John on this one, I have individual gauge and something is wrong has been for a couple of months some short somewhere in the system. If I had single gauges I could affordable replace them one at a time to see if that fixed my situation.

/ Gauges or the cluster? #7  
The cluster gages seem to be pretty reliable and are probably made to a higher quality standard than the individual gages, so less likely to need one but if you do it is more costly. If you have to buy a whole set including tach though, the individual gages are more expensive than the cluster.
The individual gages afford you the easy conversion to better quality individual gages, of course you could add a mechanical oil pressure or temp gage to the combination dash in a pinch.