GC 1720 axle housing paint chipping

/ GC 1720 axle housing paint chipping #1  

wakeshredder

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1720
Hey all, curious if I am the only one. I was washing off my tractor, with a regular water hose, and a big old chip of paint came off my axle housing! The housing appears to be aluminum. Not sure why, with only 33 hours, the paint would chip. And it is on the top side too. I saw it fly off under regular house water pressure. Posting a pic. Let me know if anyone has a similar experience. Also, I noticed cracking on the front tire tread. They are fine line cracks, but they seem to affect every lug of the front tires, both side inside and outside. Just very fine.

Attachments

• 2BAE1E92-BB33-44E6-8D96-08E159E87BD0.jpeg
    2BAE1E92-BB33-44E6-8D96-08E159E87BD0.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 203
  • 81C7FFE6-4B63-4981-A5CD-2D3062D3A04C.jpeg
    81C7FFE6-4B63-4981-A5CD-2D3062D3A04C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 188
  • EDA2392A-313C-4362-A5E2-98AC088C647C.jpeg
    EDA2392A-313C-4362-A5E2-98AC088C647C.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 182
   / GC 1720 axle housing paint chipping #2  
Yikes, I just got my GC1720 at the end of last summer-only 18 hours on it. Its been in the garage all winter. I think I'll need to go take a very close look at it to see if I have the same tire issues that you show. It doesn't necessarily look unusual but it should be kept an eye on. I know that my tractor must have sat outside a while at whatever dealership that mine transferred it from because the labels on my hydraulic hoses were pretty sun-faded on the skyward side.

As for the axle, I was under the assumption that it was cast iron, myself. Raw cast iron has a gray color like you show. You said you recently chipped it off, so maybe its just fresh CI. As it oxidizes it can change color to that of normal rust.

This may be silly, but see if a magnet sticks to it. I haven't done that or thought to. I might try it tonight when I get home.

/ GC 1720 axle housing paint chipping #3  
Now that I think of it, I DO definitely remember some small paint chips on my tractor axle showing a little bit of rust color. Its definitely NOT aluminum-unless something changed.

/ GC 1720 axle housing paint chipping #4  
My 1705 doesn't have this problem.

/ GC 1720 axle housing paint chipping #6  
Hey all, curious if I am the only one. I was washing off my tractor, with a regular water hose, and a big old chip of paint came off my axle housing! The housing appears to be aluminum. Not sure why, with only 33 hours, the paint would chip. And it is on the top side too. I saw it fly off under regular house water pressure. Posting a pic. Let me know if anyone has a similar experience. Also, I noticed cracking on the front tire tread. They are fine line cracks, but they seem to affect every lug of the front tires, both side inside and outside. Just very fine.

Looks like powder coating is flaking off-probably wasn't cleaned before they powder coated or the process wasn't completed. Its aluminum so you dont have to worry about rust, for aesthetics just a matching grey spray paint from rustolium. follow its directions to prepare aluminium surfaces. Not a big deal because its a good idea to paint bare metal on your tractor as needed or yearly maintenance. I keep a can around for my three point hitch stuff.

Those cracks look like cuts from spinning on sharp rocks or something. They dont look deep so no worry there, worry about sun\dry later on as the tractor ages.

I bought my tractor in 2010 and I remember I was worried about everything, was even upset when my Massey sticker fell off on the loader.