GC ground clearance - tire size?

/ GC ground clearance - tire size? #1  

pcwolf

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC2310
Hello All

Bought a 2005 GC2310 this month and finished all 297 pages of this MF O/O forum.

I have a hydro filter guard on order and while underneath to get familiar with the layout I recognize a few symptoms: 1) missing blades on the transmission cooling fan, 2) some bent control rods and levers, and 3) plenty of stuff sticking out here and there that are good candidates for faceplant into soft or lumpy ground I work on.

Having come from the world of off-road Jeeping, I am intimately familiar with the topics of under armor and ground clearance. One basic improvement always comes from increasing tire diameters on a Jeep. Since there really is no "suspension" on the CG2310, just by the look of the side profile there is clearance for maybe 2" more in tire height before rubbing. Two inches would be a 30% improvement over stock six inch ground clearance.

Has this been done? Pros, Cons?

thanks
-Phil

/ GC ground clearance - tire size? #2  
Might work but probably will prohibit the addition of rear tire chains should you need more traction on your soft, lumpy, ground. Some who seldom road tractors use chains year around.

R1/ag rims/tires have greater diameter than R4/industrial rims/tires. Front and rear rims/tires have to be in close proportion or 4-WD will not work.

Consider selling the GC2310 in favor of a MF with 12" of ground clearance. ( Lipstick on a pig; etc.)

/ GC ground clearance - tire size? #3  
These tractors are designed to be "estate" tractors.

While many owners successfully push them way beyond what they were designed for, They are meant for property maintenance. Not, four wheeling.

Considering the potential stability issues, it seems like you would be way ahead, to trade it for what you want.

/ GC ground clearance - tire size? #4  
Need to take into consideration front axle lead ratio. With correct lead ratio the front tires should travel 1% to 5% further than the rear tires (the front tires will be pulling the tractor a little bit when 4wd is engaged). Anything less than 0% or more than 5% will cause the drive train to bind up some, will definitely cause excessive front tire wear and/or could lead to premature failure of drivetrain components.

/ GC ground clearance - tire size? #5  
I use my 1720 on some fairly rough terrain. It doesn't set very high but with the short wheelbase I have rarely bottomed out and fortunately never suffered any damage the few times I have.

What has been of more concern (and a good reason I think your on the right track with under armor) is sticks n stumps and such that can puncture or tear away at some of the vital stuff stuffed under these little tractors.

/ GC ground clearance - tire size? #6  
Hello All

Bought a 2005 GC2310 this month and finished all 297 pages of this MF O/O forum.

I have a hydro filter guard on order and while underneath to get familiar with the layout I recognize a few symptoms: 1) missing blades on the transmission cooling fan, 2) some bent control rods and levers, and 3) plenty of stuff sticking out here and there that are good candidates for faceplant into soft or lumpy ground I work on.

Having come from the world of off-road Jeeping, I am intimately familiar with the topics of under armor and ground clearance. One basic improvement always comes from increasing tire diameters on a Jeep. Since there really is no "suspension" on the CG2310, just by the look of the side profile there is clearance for maybe 2" more in tire height before rubbing. Two inches would be a 30% improvement over stock six inch ground clearance.

thanks
-Phil

I am a Jeeper and an ATVer with moderate experience on this. Also had my GC2410 with 8 years experience there. As for raising it I would only go one size bigger on the tires but for safety, should be one size wider as well. So for every one inch you gain in height you should go just as wide because these tractors-especially with BH and any load on the loader above grill height - it will become tipsy and dangerous. There is no suspension and you will get no forgiveness in uneven terrain-even with it stock. If you do under body armor use ventilated plates if you can because the tranny gets hot.

Thats my 2 cents worth...

/ GC ground clearance - tire size? #7  
Hello All

thanks
-Phil
I just got my filter guard for my GC2310 however there was no template or anything for drilling the holes for it. Just curious how you did it?

/ GC ground clearance - tire size? #8  
I just got my filter guard for my GC2310 however there was no template or anything for drilling the holes for it. Just curious how you did it?

I don't remember having to drill any holes. They came pre-drilled and it was just a matter of bolting it up.

/ GC ground clearance - tire size? #9  
I don't have bolt holes on my frame so i would need to drill through the frame to mount mine. There are holes on the bracket with threaded nuts welded on but no holes on the frame to go into those.