GC owners, input appreciated

/ GC owners, input appreciated #1  

SteveM70

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1720
How much fuel does it take to fill your tractor from empty or close to empty?

/ GC owners, input appreciated #2  
How much fuel does it take to fill your tractor from empty or close to empty?

There is some "magic" in your question Steve. When they deluvered my gc1615 ladt year ut had a full tank. And because of issues when you run a diesel dry . . I've never alliwed tgw rank to get liwer rhan 1/4 tank. I believe capacity is just over 5 gallons. I also notice that it takes a very long time for the tank to go from full to half full but doesn't take long to go from 1/2 full to 1/4 full . . So I don't tske chances on it being a v shape tank. Purging and bleeding and whstever rlse is too involved . . So I never ever ever run it below 1/4 tank under any conditions .

/ GC owners, input appreciated #3  
Fuel tank capacity was either 6.1 or 6.6 gallons to fill per specs. I typically pour in 5 gallons at a time when my fuel gauge is on low. Takes roughly 10 hours to burn that fuel while working moderately

/ GC owners, input appreciated
Ok, so I usually do the same as Axle for much the same reasons. I just refill or top off after use but yesterday I had a job to do and my fuel jugs were empty. I "pushed it" and ran the tractor to about 1/8 tank before calling it a day. Got 5.1 gallons of diesel in my jug today and filled the tractor up. I was surprised that it only held roughly 4 gallons.

I know the pick up needs to be up away from the bottom of the tank because of dirt and such things but with a 6.6 gallon tank, that's over 30% unusable? Keeping in mind I still had roughly 1/8 tank left according to the gauge.

I suppose there's only a couple ways to find out for sure how much usable fuel is in there but I don't think it's bothering me THAT bad.;)

/ GC owners, input appreciated #5  
Fuel tank capacity is listed at 6.6 (Finally just looked it up). The tank is that of an upside "U" that keeps fuel to one side. Similarly to the others, while it seems I go a little farther I certainly make sure not to run out so that I can avoid bleeding the fuel system

/ GC owners, input appreciated #6  
I'm leary of having to bleed the fuel system by running it dry - I average about .5 GPH of fuel consumption on my 1710 and have never put in more than a 5 gallon bucket of fuel.

Not to hijack the thread but this is a fuel discussion - so - I'm shopping for replacement fuel cans as the new plastic "safety" cans are horrible. I'm tired or pinching my fingers and spilling fuel everywhere....any recommendations? I've seen some at TSC.

Last edited:
   / GC owners, input appreciated #7  
I hate diesel fuel odor, especially if I am wearing it.

So, I spent the money and bought a 120 vac diesel fuel pump, 20 gallon drum, filter, long hose, automatic shut off nozzle, and a swivel.

It cost a few hundred +, to put all that together. But, I have not had any spillage since. So, I don't regret doing it.

This could get you started. Electric Oil Transfer Pump w Meter 11V Diesel Fuel Manual Nozzle Hose | eBay

Last edited:
   / GC owners, input appreciated #8  
Another option is the 14 gallon units on wheels with a hose and handle dispenser. Available at a tsc or farm supply fleet farm or farm and fleet type places for less than 150. Or northern has a similar concept but even nicer for less than 200.

5 fallon can need to have a fill unit and a pressure relief opening too. I have several of the new fangled ones and my favirites arw still the ones like I have from 15 years ago andlesd than 20 bucks or less lol.

/ GC owners, input appreciated #9  
IMG_1310.JPGHow about a 5 gallon nospill container. I haven't spill a drop yet.