GC series checking hydro fluid with bucket on

/ GC series checking hydro fluid with bucket on #1  

Dmacleo

Veteran Member
Tractor
2010 MF GC2400 Owner, 2012 MF1532 User
doing normal checks on GC2400 noticed sight gauge was low. then remembered bucket was fully curled down and lift cylinders were up a bit.
uncurled/lowered lift and glass was good.
got me to wondering so I looked in manual and the only thing it says when servicing fluid is for 3pt to be lowered.
how do you guys check it?
is there enough reserve in case to make up for the bucket taking so much fluid?

do seem to be losing about half a cup every 15hours ( this is lot of bucket use) no visible leaks, no drips under it, no cylinders acting odd. time to degrease everything and monitor but not huge deal as I always carry fluid.

/ GC series checking hydro fluid with bucket on #2  
When they dropped off my tractor the person that brought it went over everything on it. Told me that I should check the fluid with the 3pt all the way down and the bucket on the ground curled up, in other words, all rods retracted. I trust my dealer and the all of their people are pretty knowledgeable and they also don't let the new people do deliveries, so I do it the way I was told.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever looked at it when the 3pt raised or the bucket up and in dump position, I will probably do that now then next time I use it just to see what it looks like. Although, in the winter with my blower on the 3pt was never all the way down.

/ GC series checking hydro fluid with bucket on
When they dropped off my tractor the person that brought it went over everything on it. Told me that I should check the fluid with the 3pt all the way down and the bucket on the ground curled up, in other words, all rods retracted. I trust my dealer and the all of their people are pretty knowledgeable and they also don't let the new people do deliveries, so I do it the way I was told.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever looked at it when the 3pt raised or the bucket up and in dump position, I will probably do that now then next time I use it just to see what it looks like. Although, in the winter with my blower on the 3pt was never all the way down.
thats really the only way that made sense to me, just seems odd (to me) the manual never mentions anything about checking when loader installed.

/ GC series checking hydro fluid with bucket on #4  
I just looked in my manual again and it's funny what I read that I don't remember I read. It says: "Lower 3-point linkage and all external hydraulically controlled equipment"

newer tractor and updated manual possibly.
I just poured over the 2010 GC2400 manual again, all it mentions is check sight glass and add as needed. the only section that mentions anything about implement lowering is page 56
2021-04-07 16.15.28.jpg
under the changing the oil section.

/ GC series checking hydro fluid with bucket on #6  
Yep, newer just got it last year. Probably have an update manual as well. I have a different model, but I imagine most of the information in the models is cut and paste. The section in mine that talks about changing the fluid also says nothing about other equipment, just mentions the 3pt.

Yep, newer just got it last year. Probably have an update manual as well. I have a different model, but I imagine most of the information in the models is cut and paste. The section in mine that talks about changing the fluid also says nothing about other equipment, just mentions the 3pt.
where in your manual did it mention lowering 3pt and bucket? very good chance I overlooked it and knowing what section you saw it in your manual may prove me wrong about my manual.

/ GC series checking hydro fluid with bucket on #8  
check-h-fluid.jpg

/ GC series checking hydro fluid with bucket on #10  
I think the logic of having all the rams retracted is that the rod side of cylinder takes a bit less fluis to fill... There for more oil in transmission (tank)... its really just transferring a small volume of from tank to rams or from rams back to tank...

And manual for my 1715 is basically "check to see if fluid in sight glass"... Does not mention position of rams...

Dale

Last edited: