GC1715 Rear fender deck...Plastic???

/ GC1715 Rear fender deck...Plastic??? #1  

prosparky

Tractor
2002 Simplicity Conquest
Hi everyone-

I have been lurking and researching for a while. I have narrowed my tractor choices to a Kubota BX 2370, or a Massey Ferguson GC1715. I read somewhere that the hood on the GC series tractors is steel, but the rear fender deck is plastic. Is this true? Say it isn't so!! If it is, are the floorboards plastic as well? Thanks.

/ GC1715 Rear fender deck...Plastic??? #2  
Hi everyone-

I have been lurking and researching for a while. I have narrowed my tractor choices to a Kubota BX 2370, or a Massey Ferguson GC1715. I read somewhere that the hood on the GC series tractors is steel, but the rear fender deck is plastic. Is this true? Say it isn't so!! If it is, are the floorboards plastic as well? Thanks.

True on rear fender deck. Doesn't seem any more or less durable than the Kubota though. I compared a BX2370 and GC1705 that were 3 feet apart in a showroom. They both appear to be great machines with pros/cons.

/ GC1715 Rear fender deck...Plastic???
Aaargh...
Thanks. What to do? I like so many features of the Massey: The hydro pedal layout, better hydraulics, non folding ROPS (that will clear my garage door), better warranty, cheaper price, more horsepower, better local dealer. I guess my concern is the cracking plastic problem I have heard about with the JD hoods. Can anyone else weigh in on the durability of these?

/ GC1715 Rear fender deck...Plastic??? #4  
Aaargh...
Thanks. What to do? I like so many features of the Massey: The hydro pedal layout, better hydraulics, non folding ROPS (that will clear my garage door), better warranty, cheaper price, more horsepower, better local dealer. I guess my concern is the cracking plastic problem I have heard about with the JD hoods. Can anyone else weigh in on the durability of these?

Nonissue to me after inspecting them and talking to the mechanics. Kubotas are actually a bit cheaper around me. I'm probably going to end up with a 1705.

/ GC1715 Rear fender deck...Plastic??? #5  
My GC2400 has the plastic rear fender deck. Had it for a good while and no problems at all. The floor is metal and i am sure it is on the GC1715 although I have not seen it. Ed

/ GC1715 Rear fender deck...Plastic??? #6  
Aaargh...

Lets clear up a couple things real quick. Having a metal hood is a big deal because it is a large and substantial area. It is hinged and has a latch to keep it in place and a built in catch to keep it up and open.. There is zero comparison between the hood and rear deck issues. The rear deck is small with multiple contour changes that creates strength. And are you forgetting the rops fasten in this area as well? And what do you think this means? . . . . Thats right . . . steel underneath. Let's say that again . . steel undrrneath heavy and strong enough to be the rops fastening points.

How about the rear fenders attached to the rear deck? Right again . . . heavy gauge plastic . . . And what else Pro Sparky . . what else ?? Well if you looked you'd have said . . Hand grips . . Big hand grips . . . And what does that mean Pro Sparky . . . Come on come on . . What does that mean? Right . . Hand grips . . Big ones fastened to steel . . . Solid steel fastening . . Just like the rops.

Now lets revisit that metal hood again. Solid, substantial, significant. And when you release the latch and lift up that solid substantial hood . . what do you see? If you said "total access" . . . you woukd have been correct. And if you lift up the bx2370 hood . . . What do you see? Cmon . . what do you see? You're right again . . You see panels that have to be removed to get engine access.

Now I'm not trying to be a wise guy. What I'm trying to emphasize is the bx products are fine equipment. But if you've spent 10 minutes looking at a gc1715 . . .you would have personally seen all the metal. You would have seen a gas tank with steel protection and then plastic on top of that. You may have missed the coil AND spring suspension.of the gc1715 deluxe seat . . . But you couldn't have missed how open and accessible that hood allows the engine compartment to be on the massey gc1700s. And not only is the floor made of metal . . . but have you seen a cleaner floor layout on any other brand. The position of brake and diff lock. The open cockpit and easier room access to all the control levers etc. Etc.. and of course you couldn't miss the front flow engine cooling system in the Massey that keeps the engine cleaner and the operator cooler.

In your words . . . Aaargh. Lol.

Last edited:
   / GC1715 Rear fender deck...Plastic??? #7  
Aaargh...

There's a thread going on right now about 'plastic bonnets' on JDs. Check it out, please, because I'm 'here to say' that there is not one problem with the construction method or materials used. No cracks here. In fact I'd never heard of a 'cracking plastic problem' until a week ago when that thread started.

The reinforced 'plastics' today are darn near as tough as metal ever was AND can take vibration stresses better. I know this for a fact... my last ship, in the Navy, was a Minehunter made practically all (hull/superstructure) out of plastic/fibreglass. When I first saw the fenders on my 4105 I thought to myself,"Hmmm, same stuff they made the DIAMANTINA out of."

If the Massey suits you as the best tractor, go with it.

/ GC1715 Rear fender deck...Plastic???
Well, I may have to check them out after all.

/ GC1715 Rear fender deck...Plastic??? #9  
metel you can always eel up and repair. plastic is cheap junk i would look for an older tractor all metal than a tractor with plastic. make sure you get one with a metal hood. with a front loader dropping debris, plastic breaks, metal bends

/ GC1715 Rear fender deck...Plastic??? #10  
There are huge differences between steel, resin based materials, and plastic.

Steel and fibrous resins both have a rigidness as well as a shear strength, whereas plastic has numerous builds depending on its resustance to weather needs.

Plastic components backed by steel are very strong against cracking because they can be mixed chemically for hardness rather than rigudity. Massey GC fenders and rear area are backed by steel abd as a resilt have great uv and color consistency and durability. However the exact same strong component material if used in an engine hood would have great difficulty if wind presdure was exerted while thebhood was up. Why . . Because plastic hoods are large and break/crack near points of stress like hinges and twisting issues. A great example is many cub cadet hoods..

Massey gc1700s have solid duty metal hoods for that vety reason. But have plastic parts that surround the rops area which is a mass if steel underneath supporting it.

Now Some J.D. units are designed in some areas jyst as cub cadets were with plastic that us not adequately steel supported. While the hoods are indeed light . . When lifyed in the wind they twist and shift and are subject to wearvandvstress damage by side pressure and twist/defkection pressure. Same can be trye if tractors with plastic fenders without adequate steel bracing.

Whether j.d. plastic parts can crack from uv deterioration could bevan isdue . . Again just as cub cadets hsd that isdue on numerous nodels of plastic hoods and fenders.