GC2300 front axle seal damaged

/ GC2300 front axle seal damaged #1  

Gone Fishin'

Hi all,

I have a small leak in the pivot point between the wheel hub and front axle. Have searched high and low in the forum, with only a single, somewhat uninformative hit. Was hoping somebody might have some experience in replacing the seal. Is it difficult? Any special tools required? :confused:

Insights hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

/ GC2300 front axle seal damaged #2  
I've changed the seal in mine,if your mechanically inclinded its not that bad too do.First off you have to drain all the oil out of the front diff.Jack up which side your working on,remove the tire and rim.You'll have to take the tie rod out of the hub as well.Next remove the 4 bolts that secure the the complete hub assembly to the front axle.There's a o-ring between those 2 mating surfaces.Place the hub assembly on your bench.Next you have to remove all the bolts securing the outer wheel housing to the final case, and pull it apart.I believe its just a silicone used for a gasket.Once you have it apart you look inside where the bevel gear and shaft are and you'll have to remove a snap ring that inside there.It's a bear to see and to remove or I should say release it as you can't really take it out.Once you have that snap ring released you'll beable to pull the pivioting part apart.The seal is a two piece seal. Remove the old seal.Install the new seals in the correct direction Remeber to put grease onto the new seal.Reassemble in reverse order.Use silicone between the outer wheel housing and final case.Note Back lash cannot be adjusted its preset by the machined surfaces.If you need more info just ask.Larry

/ GC2300 front axle seal damaged
Wow -- great detail. Thanks very much Larry!

/ GC2300 front axle seal damaged #4  
Gone Fishin'- here's a couple of pics from the service manual, might help out a bit. I figure I'll get to do this job sooner or later, too!

The manual really doesn't go into a lot of detail on the seals there, but Larry's description should cover it. Let us know how it goes, and if you could post some pics that would be great!

Attachments

• Front axle-1.JPG
    Front axle-1.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 3,498
  • Front axle-2.JPG
    Front axle-2.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 1,761
Thanks irvingj -- between Larry's description and your pictures, I should be good to go. I probably won't tackle this until it warms up a bit (and I've had a chance to work up the nerve), but I'll definitely take some pictures when I do.

Thanks again to you both!

Ok - so I finally got my act together and took on this project in June. Although I'm fairly good with my hands, I don't have a lot of mechanical experience. As a result, this job took me the better part of two days. Larry's description was pretty much bang on. As he noted, the snap ring (3rd image) is a bear to remove -- spreaders with a fairly large spread are an absolute must. The old seal in the hub (2nd last image, left) required heat for removal, while the one on the shaft (last image, shiny disc at the base of the shaft) required lubrication of the shaft itself. I found that replacing the new seal on the shaft was best accomplished by pushing it on as far as possible, reassembling the hub and elbow, and then using a rubber mallet to knock the elbow back into the hub. In this way, I was able to force the seal into position using fairly even distribution of pressure.

DSC05185.jpg DSC05174.jpg DSC05176.jpg DSC05179.jpg DSC05181.jpg

Attachments

• DSC05178.jpg
    DSC05178.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 1,957
Last edited:
   / GC2300 front axle seal damaged #7  
Glad you got it done and glad to have been of help.Not sure what type of oil your using in the front diff but I use 75wx80 synthetic gear oil now rather then the permatran.Larry

My next project is going to be to change the front axle pivot pin and bushings as there worn out a bit and it's always leaking oil from the pivot area.I've replaced both o-rings this spring and when I had the pim out to change the o-rings I could see the wear on the pin.I've ordered a new pin and bushings and hopefully will have them in next week.Once I do the job I"ll post a thread on it.Larry

/ GC2300 front axle seal damaged #8  
I am having the same problem, anyone have the part number for the seal kit?

Better late than never?

Part number: 4265156M91

/ GC2300 front axle seal damaged #10  
The old seal in the hub (2nd last image, left) required heat for removal..

I know it's been a few years since your post, but maybe you're still active on the forum. I changed my oil seal on the right side and now I need to do the left side. You can read about my first effort here:

Massey Ferguson GC2310 TLB Repair

I'm interested how exactly you used heat to remove the seal in the hub. The hub is a pretty massive block of metal so I can't imagine heating it with a torch - I'd probably just melt the rubber on the seal and make a mess!