Mowing GC2300 mower height adjustment

/ GC2300 mower height adjustment #1  

Anonymous Poster

I just had my GC2300 delivered this evening. After looking it over I am now confused about the mower height adjustment. The manual says to use the four guage wheels to dial in the mower height. This would mean that the deck rides on the ground, but I thought it was supposed to be suspended. Also, if the 4 wheels are used to adjust the height, then what is that dial which is located by the drivers left foot for? It says its for mower height adjustment, but is irrelevant when the 4 mower deck wheels are on the ground. Am I missing something here? I know that the 4 wheels on the mower deck for the John Deere 2210 are adjusted to be ~1/4" off the ground for antiscalp after the mower height is adjusted with the dial on the floorboard. Is the GC2300 suposed to be similar? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ GC2300 mower height adjustment #2  
The dial on the floor is to set the height at a constant. The deck will suspend.

/ GC2300 mower height adjustment
So are the four guage wheels supposed to be off the ground a certain amount while mowing for anti-scalp purposes so that the deck does actually float?

/ GC2300 mower height adjustment #4  
Run them on the gauge wheels. The mower deck has antiscalp rollers under the deck.

OK. I must be missing something here. If the deck runs on the four guage wheels, then it will go down to a consistent height each time - it will stop when the guage wheels hit the ground. With the said I do not see the relevance of the dial on the floorboard to control a consistent mowing height. Please bear with me here because I am ignorant about this whole thing, and I as my wife frequently tells me, I am **** to no end. I want to be sure that I am doing it right. Thanks.

/ GC2300 mower height adjustment #6  
The mower will operate in either a float position or down on the gauge wheels. I personally would let it ride on the gauge wheels or just skim the ground. The dial for position will enable you to set the deck at a higher position if you like. It will also lock the deck so it will not bleed down. Depends on what you are mowing and the height you need. This just makes it easy to always come back to the same height. Either way you are ok. I believe the gauge wheels also have different pin positions as well.

I think I understand what you are saying now. Thanks.

I believe that I would rather operate with the guage wheels slightly off the ground and the deck floating. It seems to me that with a deck that heavy riding on those little wheels, the wheels would tend to tear up the turf if it was a little soft. Also, I believe that when the wheels hit an obstruction such as a tree root the welds will tend to fail over time. What do you think?

I went out tonight and adjusted the guage wheels to be just off the ground and discovered what looks like a problem. As I let the deck down, the left side linkage arm hits the dial stop, but the right side continues to drop a little more. This causes the deck to be unlevel. There is an adjustment on both linkage arms that will possibly solve this problem, though. If I shorten up the linkage on the right side, this will cause the deck to be high on the right side when the deck is up. Then when I lower the deck and the right side continues to drop after the left side hits the dial stop the deck will go to level. Does this make sense? What do you think?