Mowing GC2310/2310 54" Mulch mower

/ GC2310/2310 54" Mulch mower #1  

madhatter

Gold Member
Tractor
2015 Massey GC1710
Greetings,
I am looking to buy a midmount for my baby ( gc2310 ). I have always used a mulch mower and would like to know anyone who has the 54" mulch mower and what they think of it. It is an enclosed unit ( no side discharge ) and uses 6 blades. My previous JD mower was a 54" with a mulch kit on it. Just would like to read some feedback on it. Btw: No need for me to have a 3pt mower, I have a Massey brush hog for the tall stuff !!

Thanks !:)

/ GC2310/2310 54" Mulch mower #2  
I have the 54" deck, 3 spindles with 2 blades each. I was amazed at how thick the blades are. It's a nice unit, Grass grows fast in florida, we mow 2.5 acres with it.

/ GC2310/2310 54" Mulch mower
So, do you have issues with left over grass clippings? Does it cut/chop very fine? How high do you cut the grass?? I really think mulching is the way to go as far as time saved ( no clipping pick up ) and natural fertilizer goes.... just want to be sure the Massey mulch is up to the task. ( 6 Blades vs 3 is kinda unique ? )

/ GC2310/2310 54" Mulch mower #4  
I looked into a 54'' mowing deck "not the mulching" and was quoted $2200.00. For that price I could get a nice lawn tractor and bagger. I thought the price was steep.What is evryone else getting for prices.

Ya I thought it was steep too..... but the thing is built like a tank! Very well built, it will last for years. Paid around 2500 for the mulch. The mulch is more money than the side discharge.

Hooked up my mulch for the first time. What adjustments should a person make?
You can adjust the wheel height, but as well, you can adjust the mower height via the tractor height adjust, which is better? Should the wheels be JUST touching the ground or full touching??

Thanks...

madhatter said:
Hooked up my mulch for the first time. What adjustments should a person make?
You can adjust the wheel height, but as well, you can adjust the mower height via the tractor height adjust, which is better? Should the wheels be JUST touching the ground or full touching??

Thanks...

bump....

/ GC2310/2310 54" Mulch mower #8  
Madhatter, did you read the deck instructions for setting gage wheels , I run them on the turf, some guys raise them off the ground 1/2" or 1/4", they say with the wheels down and you make sharp turns you tear up the turf. I set the cut height at 3".

/ GC2310/2310 54" Mulch mower #9  
What do you mean by bump? You might do a search in the Massey section o n mower deck height sittings

DanielAlexander said:
What do you mean by bump? You might do a search in the Massey section o n mower deck height sittings

Bump is meant to revive the thread to get some more response. Did not get allot from this post.... maybe not a lot of people are using this deck.... thanks for your response.