GC2310 starting concern

/ GC2310 starting concern #1  

DaveCQE

Tractor
2004 Massey Ferguson GC 2310
Tried to start my 2004 MF GC2310 with about 700hrs on it. It was cold so I had the block heater going for about an hour, I hooked up jumper cables since typically the tiny battery doesn't have enough power or cranking time to get it started. I made about 10 attempts to get the engine to run, it almost started a couple of times. On the next attempt it was cranking over, but suddenly made a sound like something was interfering with the rotation so I stopped turning it over. following that I tried to crank the engine over but it would only turn the flywheel about 30 degrees and stop, I tried a few more jogs on the starter with the same thing happening, and started to smell what I believe my starter overheat, so I gave up. Anyone know what The problem might be, as well as some diagnosis tips? I was going to pull the starter and getting it tested, but not sure if I have an engine problem. Thanks!

/ GC2310 starting concern #2  
Wow-- sounds like serious issues. First off, Do you know if you are using oil for cold temps? what does your manual say for oil grade you should be using? Did you pull the dip stick to check the oil before turning the engine? If you had to use the charger to get it started, something is wrong. a 2004 battery is about 10 years old. Did you get the battery load tested at a local store? are your glow plugs even working? If you have a block heater running - it should be starting up like a kitten. Also I would be checking the rotation of the motor before even attempting to start it if you having this hard time turning it over. take the cover off and put a wrench on the flywheel/pulley and turn it over slowly noting how easy/hard it takes to turn it. be sure you are turning motor the same direction it runs.

/ GC2310 starting concern
Wow-- sounds like serious issues. First off, Do you know if you are using oil for cold temps? what does your manual say for oil grade you should be using? Did you pull the dip stick to check the oil before turning the engine? If you had to use the charger to get it started, something is wrong. a 2004 battery is about 10 years old. Did you get the battery load tested at a local store? are your glow plugs even working? If you have a block heater running - it should be starting up like a kitten. Also I would be checking the rotation of the motor before even attempting to start it if you having this hard time turning it over. take the cover off and put a wrench on the flywheel/pulley and turn it over slowly noting how easy/hard it takes to turn it. be sure you are turning motor the same direction it runs.
Thanks for the reply! The oil is correct, and near full. The battery is 3 years old and tested fine at the local NAPA. Last year I had new glow plugs installed, I used them with each start attempt. I will try the manual rotation, should I pull the glow plugs to eliminate overcoming compression? Thanks!

/ GC2310 starting concern #4  
I can help you with settings for a cold start.

What is the air temperature?
How long are you running the glow plugs?
What do you have the throttle set at?

I can help you with settings for a cold start.

What is the air temperature?
How long are you running the glow plugs?
What do you have the throttle set at?

0 degrees, 15 to 40 seconds, 3/4 throttle. Thanks!

/ GC2310 starting concern #6  
Ray has more experience than I, but I believe those glow plugs don't do much at all for the first 10-12 seconds; if it's that cold, I sometimes will hit the GPs for a minute, give it a half a minute or so of rest, then hit the GPs again for about 40 seconds before starting.

I also start with the throttle in idle position, but my 2310 seems to like that just fine. I know many advance the throttle some, but I think 3/4 might be a bit much. You may have a hydro-lock situation, in which there's a bunch of diesel fuel sitting in the cylinder(s). I'd make sure those cylinders are clear before trying again to start. (Throttle in idle, glow plugs pulled, crank with starter, and see how much fuel sprays out.)

A block heater is a real good idea for the weather around here. Massey's is expensive, but works very well and is easy to install. I use mine a lot!

Let us know how you make out-- at least it's going to be a bit warmer for the next day or so.

/ GC2310 starting concern #7  
At 0F, on my 2310, I would use 30-40 seconds, and 1/4 throttle. It will start easily without a block heater. Most prefer to pay MF their ransom, get the OEM one. They have no problems after that.

The most important thing, is to only crank for 10 seconds, and, stop. If it doesn't start in 10 seconds, you go back to the glow plugs, and try another 10 seconds of cranking.

Cranking beyond 10 seconds, will usually get you no more than a dead battery. BTW: Your battery should be able to start your tractor without help. The starter may not be working properly.

You can also try beginning your cranking with the throttle closed, and slowly open it as you crank. If it fires, note the throttle setting it starts at, and use that next time.

3/4 throttle is probably too much fuel. Hopefully, you only got some fuel in the cylinders, and that was why it seemed to lock. That should find it's way into the oil pan. Check the oil a day later, and see if it has a strong smell of fuel. If it does, that is probably what happened. If the oil is not real thin, if you can start it, and work it at full power for 30-60 minutes, that will evaporate the fuel out. If it seems thin, you probably should change it. Even if you don't replace the filter, and just put in 3 quarts of fresh oil, the little bit of fuel in the oil filter, won't take long to evaporate.

Each one of these is a little different, so you have to find the right combination.

Let us know what happens.

Too cold out to do anything today, but I hope to play with the tractor tomorrow. I believe step one will be to pull the glow plugs to see if the cylinder has fuel inside. For the past two winters it has always been difficult to start, the new glow plugs didn't seem to help. I am hoping whatever caused the stop is not expensive. Thanks!

/ GC2310 starting concern #9  
Too cold out to do anything today, but I hope to play with the tractor tomorrow. I believe step one will be to pull the glow plugs to see if the cylinder has fuel inside. For the past two winters it has always been difficult to start, the new glow plugs didn't seem to help. I am hoping whatever caused the stop is not expensive. Thanks!

There should not be fuel in there the next day. It will leak past the rings in to the oil pan.

I pulled out the glow plugs and the engine turned over well, put them back in and it started, must have been the hydro lock. Thanks for the help!,,