Gear Question

/ Gear Question #1  

dtd24

Gold Member
Tractor
98 JD 1070
Hello All,
I have a 99 JD 1070 4wd with a 440 loader and a 8b hoe. The gear range lever shows three gear ranges on the top. It show 1 in the front N then 2 & 3 in the back. Being new to the tractor world I didn't start playing with the range too much until now. I have been playing with a brush hog and need to go the slowest I can. When I put the gear range in first (forward) it is faster than in I guess its third (all the way back). I guess my question is, Is first in the back or what? Feel weird but, I cant seem to find all three ranges. I get N fine, but seems like forward and all the way back is all I can get her into. I have to really get a good peek at the linkage and how it works I guess. Any suggestions?

/ Gear Question #2  
The range shift lever has 3 ranges. 1st is up and forward. 2nd is down and back. 3rd is down and forward. Since you don't seem to be able to get it in 1st it is possible that the spring that holds the range shift lever up is broken or slipped off. Try lifting up on the shift lever then pushing it forward into 1st range. If that works then the spring is the problem.

/ Gear Question
Can't wait to get home to try this out

/ Gear Question
Sweet, I think the spring has sprung, but no biggie. Thank you
DaveD