Generator issues/help

/ Generator issues/help #1  

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
Power went out last night due to an ice storm. About 28000 homes wo power in the area.

I woke up about 3 am. Temp in the house down to about 60. Power to fridge had been off for almost 8 hours at that point so decided to fire up the generator.

Electric start would turn it but it would not catch. So I used the pull start. It did not catch either. So I hit the electric start. It started just fine that time.

Choke also needs to remain about half way on to have smooth operation.

I know this summer when using it around the farm I adjusted the set screw so it would run smoothly with choke all the way off.

Possible I need to readjust that now that it is colder out.

What accounts for the trouble starting? Any thoughts?

Power company has no estimate yet of restoration. So I think we are in for a long few days. We have horses so need to make sure we have access to water.

/ Generator issues/help #2  
this may not apply to yours, but i have a whole house stand by generator that runs on propane. Started having issues where it wouldn’t started until it cranked and rested (vs usually starting on the first crank set). The technician adjusted the valve lash clearance and it worked better after that. Evidently they slowly go out of kilter.

It always ran fine; it was just in starting that the issue showed up.

/ Generator issues/help #3  
Likely you just need to turn the engine over a few revolutions by pulling on the cord slowly before starting. (Or disconnect the spark plug / leave the on/off switch off) Engines that sit for a while usually needs this extra step before starting it. Also mind the fuel and don’t leave ethanol added fuel sitting in the carb for long periods of time. Using Stabil or non-ethanol gas helps.

It also helps to have a fuel shutoff valve and let it run with it switched off before storing it. Your owners manual should explain what you can do for storage.

/ Generator issues/help #4  
Monthly starting and running for 10 minutes looks after issues when the generator is needed. Like the other posters said, use Stabil or other gasoline stabilizers.
12 years on my latest generator with over 200 hrs for outages only. Twice I have found issues when doing monthly testing. Repaired immediately and never missed an outage or worried about it.

/ Generator issues/help #5  
decided to fire up the generator.

Electric start would turn it but it would not catch. So I used the pull start. It did not catch either. So I hit the electric start. It started just fine that time.

Choke also needs to remain about half way on to have smooth operation.

I know this summer when using it around the farm I adjusted the set screw so it would run smoothly with choke all the way off.

What generator? How old? How long has it been unused? How often do you test run it?

I have an old ETQ 8250 that gives me fits when trying to start. Test run a few days ago it took basically what you just posted. Electric didn't start it, pull rope didn't start it, but it fired and ran fine on the next attempt using the electric. I had turned the fuel off and ran it dry last time a couple of weeks back. My guess it that it needed a few revs to get fuel back in the system.

/ Generator issues/help #6  
The fact that it requires choke to run smoothly points to an issue with the carb. It should be disassembled and cleaned, there is no mechanic in a can for that task.
I’ll echo the call for no ethanol laced fuel. If there is a drain on the carb, that’s a much better choice than running it dry, as it will quit running with fuel still in the carb. And now it’s exposed to air to help oxidize it. I have easy access to a gas and have used it in seasonal equipment for decades with perfect results. If it’s available to you I would highly recommend it

/ Generator issues/help
It is a 6500/8000 watt Power Stroke powered by a Honda engine.

Started at least quarterly of not used on projects around the farm. My notes show it was last started in September so a bit longer than 3 mo.

Fuel is always stabil treated. Cant find E0 around here but manual claims E10 is ok.

Guess we will pull the carb once this power outage is over. Current estimate is Monday afternoon. I hope they are like Scotty from Star Trek and vastly over estimating the time frame on purpose to look like a miracle worker.

/ Generator issues/help #8  
Getting back to basics, it has to run with choke on, the fuel/air balance is obviously off. That’s usually a sign it’s not getting enough gas (blockage in the carb, fuel lines or gas filter, or getting enough “good” gas (instead of water, etc.)); or conversely it’s getting too much air (often an air leak, air filter has crumbled, etc.).
Probably not a bad idea to check the plug too.

/ Generator issues/help #9  
A little speck of dirt in the wrong place can cause carb problems , with a Honda engine you probably have a fuel filter already installed . My new smaller china generator quit on me during the last outage and it turned out I needed to replace the coil . My old heavy 40 year old one started on 2nd pull and carried us through , but it is a gas hog . All I have ever done with the old one is shut off the gas and run it dry after each use and it always starts right up . The carb has never been off it . It does have a fuel filter and I burn ethanol free gas when I can get it . I only use it for power outages so it doesn't have a huge amount of hrs. on it .

/ Generator issues/help #10  
For your info, ethanol free is available at BP in Lakeville, BP at Ireland and 331, and Martin's at Western and Mayflower. They refer to it as Recreational gas, directed at boat and snowmobile owners. You might consider a small inline filter on your genny. Cold air being thicker does require more fuel and your adjustment last summer may have leaned it too much.