Generator shed progress

/ Generator shed progress #1  

fatjay

Veteran Member
Tractor
Not enough
Has come a long way. Exhaust, intake, exhaust all done. All that is left is running the wire to the breaker box. It's quiet, can barely hear it inside the house. 3 cinder blocks between the house and the shed doesn't hurt.

Generator shed - YouTube

/ Generator shed progress #2  
Nice but watch out for heat and fumes in there. I would put some louvers on the bottom of the door for some circulation.

/ Generator shed progress
I ran it for a half hour to test with the door closed, to see how bad it would get. The exhaust fumes are 90% vented outside, as the exhaust pipe just slips over the gen exhaust and runs outside away from the house. There are 2x 4" vents, one in and one out, with fans that help the circulation. It was 40F outside when I ran it and after a half hour it was 75F inside.

/ Generator shed progress #4  
It might be interesting to put a CO monitor in the shed, at least temporarily, to see how well the exhaust fumes clear.

/ Generator shed progress #5  
Looks nice and well thought out. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished pictures with everything painted to match your house

/ Generator shed progress #6  
I ran my 10k in a 12x20 uninsulated grainery with openings at the top of the wall where roof rafters went out. I had a door opening 4'x7' open on the end. I ran the generator inside and didn't direct the exhaust toward the open door, but it was sitting in the center of the garage. After a few hours it got hot in the grainery and the generator seemed to start overheating. It made a big difference from running it that way vs. both doors open and sitting in the doorway. I did not have any exhaust fans blowing to cool it down.