Generator warning system?

/ Generator warning system? #1  

jymbee

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 1652, 1949 Farmall H
Now that our generator is tied into the main breaker panel in the house (manual interlock) I'm looking for some kind of system that can be installed that would sound an alarm when the power goes out as well as when the power comes back on. Anything pre-built out there that would do this?

/ Generator warning system? #2  
One of the reasons I have mine installed on a sub-panel is that I have one light only wired on the grid power. I turn on the switch when I turn on the generator and when the light comes back on, I know it is time to shut down the generator and switch back over.

For a power failure alarm, we have a number of emergency lights that charge small flashlights that come on when power fails. When these lights come on, it is time to start the generator. These have the added advantage that they provide enough light for me to navigate in the house to get to a real flashlight so I can start the generator. Usually we know when a power failure happens without needing any kind of alarm.

/ Generator warning system? #4  
I have the Reliance box mentioned above. It is battery powered and has a sensing wire that wraps around one of the incoming power legs. You have to turn the unit on when the power goes out and it will alarm when the power comes back on. It is fairly loud, although if you have a large house, you might not be able to hear it everywhere.

/ Generator warning system? #5  
I designed and built my own (based on the same concept as the Reliance). I clearly know when the power is out, but it will sound an audio alarm only when the power is back and the generator is running. Nice but not pre-built.

Paul

/ Generator warning system?
Sounds like a good system Dave. In our case however we'd need an audible alert for power out/on in the event that power went out in the middle of the night.

One of the reasons I have mine installed on a sub-panel is that I have one light only wired on the grid power. I turn on the switch when I turn on the generator and when the light comes back on, I know it is time to shut down the generator and switch back over.

For a power failure alarm, we have a number of emergency lights that charge small flashlights that come on when power fails. When these lights come on, it is time to start the generator. These have the added advantage that they provide enough light for me to navigate in the house to get to a real flashlight so I can start the generator. Usually we know when a power failure happens without needing any kind of alarm.

That looks like it would do the trick. Thanks for the info-- and thanks Aaron for the link.

All I need now would be a power out alarm and there appears to be a number of those to choose from. Thinking that this model might be worth the investment.

I have the Reliance box mentioned above. It is battery powered and has a sensing wire that wraps around one of the incoming power legs. You have to turn the unit on when the power goes out and it will alarm when the power comes back on. It is fairly loud, although if you have a large house, you might not be able to hear it everywhere.

/ Generator warning system? #8  
LOL, I know when power goes off!, no TV and the house goes dark.

Since I have only a limited number of circuits* on my gen set it is a simple matter of having a light turned on on one or more of the non generator circuits. That, or a radio plugged in to a hated station (rock) that will blare when hydro goes back on line.

Our biggest concern is how long B4 power returns as we heat electrically, consequently a wood stove is mandatory for those prolonged outages when it is -30 deg.

However as time goes on we get less and less serious outages. Our hydro is trimming more and more frequently the overhanging limbs.

*sat receiver, TV fridge and freezer, water and sewage pump and enough lights to navigate.

LOL, I know when power goes off!, no TV and the house goes dark.

Decidedly low tech-- but effective! :thumbsup:

One of our concerns is for a power outage sometime in the middle of the night during that 30 below cold spell. Wood boiler would be cranked up with no place to go. Relief valves should work to relieve the pressure but that didn't work our so well on another occasion when the furnace lost power and ended up blowing a hole in the boiler. Not fun...