Generator won't power compressor....ideas?

/ Generator won't power compressor....ideas? #91  
Glad it's all sorted out now, just posting this in reply to a couple of the suggestions in reference to unloaders or constant speed setups mentioned that are often used in gasoline-powered compressors.

The compressor I have in my garage is similar to this unit by Rol Air, (mine is actually a Smith, purchased for $25 from a rental fleet, but is nearly identical to this Rol Air):

Rolair Systems

I always intended to wire it for 240, but have never "needed to". It has the dual-control option on it, so simply flipping a lever allows it to run in constant speed mode. The motor never has to attempt to start from a dead-stop against the compressor load. These are common in rental fleets for use by roofers and such, so if you're looking for a compressor you can run reliably from a genset, (or on a jobsite with less-than-adequate temporary power), your options aren't solely limited to engine-powered units. Electric compressors are available with 'em too.

Watch the auctions.;)

While I certainly wouldn't recommend it, I've seen plenty of roofing crews using portable electric compressors like this up on the roof running in constant speed mode....off of a 50 foot cord plugged in somewhere down on the ground...

/ Generator won't power compressor....ideas? #92  
I always intended to wire it for 240, but have never "needed to".

I have the shop compressor outside of the heated area where the sound of it running is just a muted rumble but in the winter it gets down to as low as -30F (brrrrrr) out there. Even with syn oil it wouldn't start at those temps on 120v. Switching to 240 1p makes it jump up and run, even in the winter. Probably not good for the compressor, but ...

And in case you are wondering, you really HAVE TO wear gloves when running a high demand tool in the winter. That cold air chills it off fast!