Generic stone boat pics

/ Generic stone boat pics #11  
You sure that's not a submarine that you use once and throw away?

Adjustments.jpg

Worlds first disposable submarine. One time use only. Commissioned for the Royal Canadian Navy*. Ready for shipping.

*if you are Canadian you would know this is not much of a stretch.

/ Generic stone boat pics #13  
All the land around here was homesteaded in the 1880's. The homestead abutting my north property and my big upper meadow were cleared of stone. There are stone walls, everywhere, on the north property. The word on this north property - the homesteader had five sons. Based upon all the meadows cleared and all the stone walls - there must have been five young men who were all stooped over and crippled for life.

I've found one stone boat in all my searching of this adjoining property. It looks a whole lot like the very bottom picture that sixdogs posted. More for transport and not designed to loosen or collect. My upper meadow has one "stone" that was never collected. About the exact size of a VW Beetle. All the land cleared was used for open grazing. A big stone here or there made no difference.

A picture of one stone wall. View attachment 670088

/ Generic stone boat pics #14  
CDCC6B2A-B8BA-4EE6-9BDD-D3FDB7BF07EC.jpegI

just built mine from stuff the framers were gonna burn. I told the guys, Im in charge of all material disposal.

/ Generic stone boat pics
All the land around here was homesteaded in the 1880's. The homestead abutting my north property and my big upper meadow were cleared of stone. There are stone walls, everywhere, on the north property. The word on this north property - the homesteader had five sons. Based upon all the meadows cleared and all the stone walls - there must have been five young men who were all stooped over and crippled for life.

I've found one stone boat in all my searching of this adjoining property. It looks a whole lot like the very bottom picture that sixdogs posted. More for transport and not designed to loosen or collect. My upper meadow has one "stone" that was never collected. About the exact size of a VW Beetle. All the land cleared was used for open grazing. A big stone here or there made no difference.

I had one huge rock in a (Maine) field that always bothered me since I had to plow around it and work everything else around it. I put word out that if anyone was ever driving by hauling a D9 to just push it into the woods and stop at the house for payment. No one ever stopped. So, a neighbor was blasting some ledge out for a new basement and I told the guy to crack that rock into a few pieces so I could move it. He said OK and asked the size of it. I said about the size of 3/4 of a Volkswagen. Maybe 4000 lbs.

Anyway, he stopped to get paid and mentioned he mighty have used a little too much dynamite. That rock turned out to have been an "iceberg" rock buried somewhat and I hauled off maybe 20,000 lbs of rock and a countless number of pieces. Even the last piece took a 100 HP tractor and all the traction I had to skid that partial rock into the woods. Now I know why no D9's stopped. Rocks are always bigger and heavier that you would think.

/ Generic stone boat pics #16  

That makes me appreciate the stone walls seen throughout Europe and around the world for that matter. Centuries old. Our country is such a youngster. :)

/ Generic stone boat pics #17  

They sure didn't build them very high in those days! :rolleyes:

/ Generic stone boat pics
What a beautiful steel front piece and if someone is ever going to build a rock sled, this looks like the one to get.

/ Generic stone boat pics #20  
What a beautiful steel front piece and if someone is ever going to build a rock sled, this looks like the one to get.

Almost looks too nice to use....