Get your dealers attention...

/ Get your dealers attention... #1  

BTDT

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH M Farmall-propane powered, H Farmall (father-in-laws), Ford 1300 diesel
We bought this car new in 96, and had some things go wrong, and was having trouble getting dealers attention to make warranty repairs...until this...

Attachments

• GM Firebird.pdf
    384.5 KB · Views: 281
   / Get your dealers attention... #2  
Exactly what did you expect the dealer to fix on an 11 year old car under warranty? Even drivetrains were usually warranted for only 50,000 or 75,000 miles back then.

/ Get your dealers attention... #3  
is there a story to go along with this?
the car must be out of warranty!
unless you have an aftermarket service contract sold to you by a dealer, then what and what is not covered is not governed by anyone but the contract company for the most part.

I think domestic auto quality or lack thereof is killing the US manufacturers overall--some things may be getting better but its hard to lose a bad reputation. They should have seen the writing on the wall years back.

/ Get your dealers attention... #4  
I assumed they were old photos taken during the warranty period. What is the story?

/ Get your dealers attention...
gordon21 said:
Exactly what did you expect the dealer to fix on an 11 year old car under warranty? Even drivetrains were usually warranted for only 50,000 or 75,000 miles back then.
At the time this happened, the car wasn't even 2 years old, was still under warranty, and it was one thing after another. First thing, about a week after we got it home, wife pulled in drive and turned off car, but couldn't get key out of ignition. Carried it back, and they found gummed up shifter cable (caused by a testdrive before we got car) where someone had put a coke in cupholder (which was right behind gear shift lever), and they made an abrupt stop, coke spilled, ran down through console and gummed up lever, not letting shifter go far enough forward to fully go into park, thereby not letting ignition turn to position where you could pull key out. After about 3 months, the headlight motor burned up (this has the lights that go up and down when you turned them on). I tried to get them to replace them both, they wouldn't, only the one that was broken. 3 months or so later, another trip to replace the one that I had tried to get them to fix earlier. Now this dealer was in Dallas, and it was 60 miles round trip from home to there, had to call ahead and schedule in, etc. etc. Fast forward 6 months, wife is at grocery store, raises rear deck lid to put in groceries, trunk won't close. Gas shock that holds it up locked up. Check out boy had to take bad device loose to get trunk to close. I called dealer, he said they were 60 bucks. I said no, it's still under warranty, he said it wasn't. Car was about a year old, had about 35000 miles. He said no, it was worn out (gas shock), I said no, if it was worn out it wouldn't stay up, this is locked up and wont come down. That's when I got out the shoe polish, went to dealer on a saturday morning, parked right in front of dealership, and went in to see the guy who sold me the car. He told me to take it around to service dept. I went around there and they still wanted to argue. They finally replaced it at no charge to me, other than my loss of time to have to keep going to dealer for minor stuff. I ended up selling car before it was 2 years old, because the water pump went out and they wouldn't fix it (cost me 400.00). I wouldn't have a GM product if you tried to give it to me.

/ Get your dealers attention... #6  
My company provides Impalas and I just got an '07 and it seems to be fairly nice, although I expect a new car to be nice. The '05 I just turned in had a clunking noise in the front end, starting around 65,000 miles. I thought it was a ball joint but, the Goodyear place that does routine service claimed it was not and wasn't a safety issue. Maybe, maybe not but, we turn them in at 80.000 so I let it go. I've had good luck with Ford, my '88 Towncar got donated to a non-profit (tax write-off) at 257,000 and still ran well. It got almost as good gas mileage as my '07 Impala! My '96 Taurus went 186,000 before I traded it on the '01 Explorer. The Explorer has 100,000 runs and drives well but, it will rust out before it dies. I rarely drive it now that I have a company car. Just dump runs mostly, 1-1/2 miles each way.
I think there are lemons in every brand, we see that here with tractors.

/ Get your dealers attention...
Yes, I agree, this was the first "new" GM product I had ever bought. Our plan was to buy it (my daughter was a freshman in high school), and when she graduated, she could have the car to go to college (Abilene Christian University, hence the color). But I realized right away, that this particular unit wasn't going to last that long, so I traded it. I too, have had good luck out of Fords, and I have 2 Dodges (1500 conv. van, and Dakota pickup), and both have over 140,000 miles. Daughter ended up going to Texas A&M, but that's another story.

/ Get your dealers attention... #8  
Believe it or not that year Camaro was a huge improvement from what they were selling earlier....we used to always see mid and up 1980's Chevy Celebrity's and Citations and the like coming in at 50K miles to the shop. They would all need new struts, radiator, alternator, tune up, transmission, water pump, brake overhaul, carb or injection work.
Not necessarily in that order.
God bless GM and the Domestic engineers if you run a mechanic shop- they pay the bills

/ Get your dealers attention... #9  
God bless GM and the Domestic engineers if you run a mechanic shop- they pay the bills

Different experiences for different people.;) My Dad was in the auto parts business, said he loved Ford, that they kept him in business, just didn't want to own one. Prior to 1952, he drove Plymouths, but from 1952 on, he drove Buicks or Oldsmobiles.

And after I bought the new 1966 Ford Fairlane 500, I decided he was right. That car should have gone to a museum as the world's worst lemon. I figure it must have gone down the assembly line at 60 mph on a Friday afternoon. And I didn't buy another Ford for 25 years, but now I've been driving Fords again for the past 16 years.:cool: