Comparison getting a compact tractor, trying to decide MF vs JD

/ getting a compact tractor, trying to decide MF vs JD #1  

Doubtful

Tractor
none yet
New to the forum, and a soon-to-be new tractor owner. Thanks for any suggestions or help that may come our way! This may be a long post, so bear with us if you have any interest:

We are looking at four different compact tractors, the JD 3025 and 3032, vs the MF 1726E and 1734E. We have considered many different tractors in this size range, and seriously considered others (especially a Kubota), but settled on the JD or MF due to dealership/service availability. Any dealerships besides these two are many hours away, and we decided that we want to go with a new machine rather than used. We lived many years making due with an old Dodge M37 for plowing snow and skidding saw logs in Montana, and a 1943 jeep for tractor kinds of work, but it's time to get a "real" tractor for jobs now in our current location (the SW canyon country), including FEL work and BH and forklift needs.

Basic jobs will include a bit of BH and forklift work trenching for water lines and power lines, moving and placing large water tanks, lifting and moving other objects, digging drainage ditches for 50-75 yards, installing small culverts, etc. FEL work will include road maintenance (about 200 yards of dirt driveway), prepping platforms for the 2500 gallon water tanks, clearing snow for the once or twice a year real snow storms, and moving gravel around the road and parking area in front of the garage. We have about 65 acres of juniper and pinyon, so there will be a bit of firewood hauling but no real acreage maintenance such as mowing. Perhaps a garden area in the future, but nothing that might be considered big. A sub-compact tractor is out of the question due to the ruggedness of the terrain.

The MF 1726E and the JD 3025 are nice because we wouldn't need to worry about the diesel pollution regulations, and I believe (?) they will be big enough to handle our needs. However, we are considering the more powerful MF 1734E and the JD3032 just in case, despite the on-line complaints about the environmental controls and related issues (although both dealerships say these are not real problems). I have spent hours at various web site, YouTube, and dealer pages for research. We have not yet had a chance to visit the dealerships and sit on these machines, but there are plans for that in the very near future. Our questions are directed primarily towards those with experience regarding these four tractors, such as--

-- what are your likes/dislikes and concerns with models?
-- what are your takes on the power differences between the 25-26 and 32-34 hp?
-- and, most importantly, what can you say about reliability and longevity? It's a long haul from our 65 acres to the nearest dealer/service, and we tend to hold on to our vehicles (of any sort) until they are piles of mobile rust.
-- the MF can be had for $3100 cheaper (1726E) or $1400 cheaper (1734E) than the comparable JD, and this would be nice but not a deal-killer.
-- the local JD dealership is currently advertising a 10-year drivetrain warranty, which is indeed in consideration.
-- would the JD aluminum tranny and rear-end housing raise any concerns regarding extensive backhoe use? We would be operating in mostly sandy situations, but there are some big rocks and bedrock hiding down there on occasion.
-- both dealerships admit that the other makes a "fine tractor."
--If you just prefer JD over MF, or visa-versa, tell us why!

Thanks for your opinions and advice, and any comments would be appreciated--

D.

/ getting a compact tractor, trying to decide MF vs JD #2  
Either one is probably good. Most people would probably buy a JD if money wasn’t an issue. You should consider the dealer as closely as you consider the tractor. Good luck and welcome to TBN. :welcome::welcome:

Be sure and post pictures and always feel free to as questions. One thing in advance -> Yes, you will want a set of pallet forks. :thumbsup:

/ getting a compact tractor, trying to decide MF vs JD #3  
I originally was going to say JD 3032 was the better tractor over MF 1734, but a quick comparison of specs for both tractors showed the MF 1734 was superior tractor on 3-pt lifting capacity, FEL lifting capacity and the Hydraulic Pump capacity. Throw in cost difference, and the MF 1734E appears to be a more capable tractor, and the better purchase. I am very surprised.

You should build a spread sheet comparing specs that make a difference.

TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of tractors

/ getting a compact tractor, trying to decide MF vs JD
Thanks for the responses so far, the pallet forks are already in the quotes we got from both dealerships! We also did a spread sheet, although not as detailed as it might have been, and a "pros and cons" comparison. Research indicates that JD and Kubota almost always get the first nod, and we too were surprised how well the MF compared. We also liked the way the MF engine compartment is more readily accessible when compared to the JD.

D.

/ getting a compact tractor, trying to decide MF vs JD #5  
Recently became the owner of a MF 1742 and so far don't have a negative thing to say about it. I love it. But JD obviously makes top of the line equipment and I have no doubt that their machine is of equal or better quality. If price is of no concern, probably go JD. If dollars matter, then I think MF provides a good value. Either way I think you will be pleased with your machine.

/ getting a compact tractor, trying to decide MF vs JD #6  
I think you should go test drive each model and see which one fits you the best and go from there. My family has had both brands as well as New Holland and Kubota and they all had their strong points.

/ getting a compact tractor, trying to decide MF vs JD #7  
-- would the JD aluminum tranny and rear-end housing raise any concerns regarding extensive backhoe use? We would be operating in mostly sandy situations, but there are some big rocks and bedrock hiding down there on occasion.

Thanks for your opinions and advice, and any comments would be appreciated--

D.

The aluminum alone would have the JD completely off my list. I know all too well how much stress a backhoe can put on a tractor.
Spec wise the Massey would be my choice even if the JD had a better build with no aluminum.

/ getting a compact tractor, trying to decide MF vs JD #8  
Isn't the Massey three range HST and the Deere you are looking at two range? If so nod is to Massey.

I think the Massey has a Shibaru engine and that Deere has a Yanmar, so that is a toss up those are both good manufacturers.

Massey is also heavier which is a plus.

/ getting a compact tractor, trying to decide MF vs JD #9  
Test drive, think and test drive more. Both are good machines. I too do not like the aluminum. However, my biggest concern on the JD would be the FEL. If it is a quick connect, is it JD quick connect or the SSQA. You will find a lot more SSQA attachments used and cheaper new. If you only plan on the FEL having a bucket, then that is not an issue. I think the JD can be ordered with a SSQA.

/ getting a compact tractor, trying to decide MF vs JD #10  
Massey 1742 owner here. After seeing a 3 series JD at an auction, I believe that it is physically smaller. Quite happy with my choice, 269 hrs on it now.