Getting Back Into Welding

/ Getting Back Into Welding #11  
I enjoy learning something new, so a few years ago I bought one of the multipurpose machines so I could dabble with MIG. I think I have used stick a couple of times since I have had the new machine, but I could probably do with out stick welding altogether without much trouble.

/ Getting Back Into Welding #12  
If you get back into it, consider looking for a used engine-based stick welder so you can bring the welder to the job, rather than the job to the welder. Just used an older Miller Blue Star yesterday to weld chain hooks on a bucket using 7018 rods.

/ Getting Back Into Welding #13  
If you get back into it, consider looking for a used engine-based stick welder so you can bring the welder to the job, rather than the job to the welder. Just used an older Miller Blue Star yesterday to weld chain hooks on a bucket using 7018 rods.
Second this with a twist. I got back into welding because the best generator I could find for my needs was miller 300 that doubles as a welder.

Worked out great and doesn't sit for months at a time waiting for the lights to go out.

Best,

ed

/ Getting Back Into Welding #14  
I have been looking at this one for a combined welder/generator. It will be stick until I get bored or need something else. This will also double as a back up house generator. As I understand its almost the same as the Miller but $2000 less.

/ Getting Back Into Welding #15  

That's a great unit, and will do fine for most fabrication and repair tasks. I bought my Miller Bobcat 250 about twenty years ago, and looked hard at the Hobart at the time. I decided to buy the Miller, and never regretted it. Probably would have been just as happy with the Hobart for welding, but the generator on the Bobcat was cleaner output. I don't know if that's still true on current models.

Regardless of which one you get, buy an extra fuel pump. They're the weakest link, thanks to the ethanol in most gasoline. I get 3-5 years out of mine, then they fail. The cheap ones out of China seem to hold up about the same as the ones that cost 5x as much. Takes about ten minutes to swap one out, if you go slow and have one on hand.

/ Getting Back Into Welding #16  
About 10 years ago I stopped using the crap-ahol gas on everything but road machines - about a buck more a gallon, and I pay it GLEEFULLY, 'cause I know I'll probably NEVER have to replace a carb or fuel pump in my lifetime - only thing I don't use no-E gas in is tractors and backhoe, 'cause they'd EXPLODE if I did (Diesels tend to do that if you forget) o_O... Steve

/ Getting Back Into Welding #17  
Last time I struck an arc was at least 40 years ago. I'm retired now and would like to get back into it as a hobby. Planning on staying with stick as that is what I know.

Anyone been in the same position? What was your experience striking that first arc again? I'm hoping it's a lot like riding a bike in that you don't forget!
I am proficient in stick, MIG, & TIG. I mostly TIG weld, next is MIG, and then way down the list is stick. That said, stick is the most versatile for the least money when it comes to welding iron alloys. And yes, you will pick it up fast. You can usually buy just a pound of rod for stick welding when there is some special need. Like welding cast iron or stainless steel. Your stainless stick welds won't be as pretty as TIG welds but will be way cheaper. One thing has changed greatly since you first welded. Hoods. You absolutely should buy an auto-darken hood. These days you can buy an excellent auto-darken hood, with the shade adjustable from what would be comparable to light sunglasses, so you can do work like grinding with your hood down, to the darkest of shades. And you get all this versatility, plus a larger viewing area than your old hood, plus being lighter than your old hood, for about $120.00. Tomorrow I will post the name of a great hood, the one I use most. I would do it now but my old brain can't remember the name of the company.
Eric

/ Getting Back Into Welding #18  
I'm going to be the one guy who doesn't like auto darks.... I've had probably 5 of them (miller/Lincoln, not even cheap ones) and they've all been nothing but trouble. Even the ones that didn't break were just a pain in the neck for what I do.
I would agree that for typically hobby use they are great. Welding things on a bench, ect

My issue is largely working on equipment in awkward places and blocking the sensors with pieces of the machine, hydraulic hoses, ect.

And then the constant running out of batteries when you are not at the shop, ect.

I finally went and bought a few of the old flip-down fibre metal pipeliner hoods, and keep a different shade lens in each one. A side benefit is I've found you have better clarity with a gold coated glass lens than with the auto dark filter.

Now a cheap flip down hood is going to be infuriating. And those fibremetal ones cost the same as or more than an autodark. But they are comfortable, and they work effortlessly and reliably. Once you get used to the slight nod before striking an arc it's really no less user friendly than an auto dark.

/ Getting Back Into Welding #19  
Second this with a twist. I got back into welding because the best generator I could find for my needs was miller 300 that doubles as a welder.

Worked out great and doesn't sit for months at a time waiting for the lights to go out.

Best,

ed
Exactly what I did, was looking for a generator and welder during the same time period. Found I could get a much bigger quality generator for the same money that doubled as a welder. It was a no brainer.

/ Getting Back Into Welding #20