Getting hay balers ready

/ Getting hay balers ready #51  
Personally, I think balers should be equipped with a 50 gallon water extinguisher system. Once you pull the lever, the entire pressurized tank of water sprays out into critical areas and it’s over.
The NH I traded on the Kubota bailer was equipped with on board fire suppression via pressurized water. I never used it. In fact I've never had one get that hot. I tend to stop frequently and shoot the side sheets and bearings with an IR thermometer to see if it is getting hot. My philosophy about round bailers is, it's insured against all perils and if it ever did catch on fire, I'd pull the hitch pin and drive away and hell with the hook ups. All my hydraulic connectors are break under excessive pull anyway and far as the electrical/electronic controls, they will decouple themselves. I might see of Kubota offers fire suppression on this one, but I don't believe they do. Fires on round balers are usually caused by overheated roll bearings and all the rollers on the new baler are central point pressure greased and the drive chains also have centralized pressure metered oiling.

I've seen a lot more combines go up, especially when running dry beans and wheat than anything else. My buddy down the road lost his late model JD that way last fall. He had time to detach the grain table and back away but that was it. By the time the VFD got there it was nothing but a black smoking hulk. They do burn quite nicely and produce a lot of smoke.

/ Getting hay balers ready #52  
Sounds like a quick road to having zero friends in life or here on this website.
I've never counted as 'friends' any poster on most websites I frequent, to me you are nothing but an electronic signature and little else and I'll never meet you in person (and candidly don't want to). There are actually a select few on here I do know personally and have interacted with them, face to face but again you ain't one. Far as 'friends go' I have plenty around here, some close and some not. I do find that people have 2 faces they exude. Their 'forum' face and their in person face. Kind of like the old CB radio thing back in the day. You can be a 'radio rambo' and have a Harvey Milktoast personality.

I only frequent 4 forums and this one is the only 'tractor' forum I frequent. Been here a long time too.

I count my 'friends' on one hand. Always have. Life and here are 2 distinctly different things for me. This is nothing but a diversion from my actual life. Nothing more and it's always been that way and will never change. On another totally non related forum that I've been on as long as this one, I have quite a few 'friends' I interact with. In fact one of them is stopping in next Friday on his way from Tennessee to the upper-lower as he and his wife are attending his son's daughters graduation. He's a moderator on that forum. Known him for years, personally.

I could pass you on the street and not even know who you are, likewise with you passing me. I much prefer to leave it that way.

My 'life' is entirely different than on here in 'fantasy' land. All good with it.

/ Getting hay balers ready #53  
The NH I traded on the Kubota bailer was equipped with on board fire suppression via pressurized water. I never used it. In fact I've never had one get that hot. I tend to stop frequently and shoot the side sheets and bearings with an IR thermometer to see if it is getting hot. My philosophy about round bailers is, it's insured against all perils and if it ever did catch on fire, I'd pull the hitch pin and drive away and hell with the hook ups. Fires on round balers are usually caused by overheated roll bearings and all the rollers on the new baler are central point pressure greased and the drive chains also have centralized pressure metered oiling.
I agree if rd baler fire can't be extinguished in short amount of time disconnect electrical harnesses, pull tongue pin & drive tractor away from baler. IR thermometer is a very good tool to detect faulty brg.

My WAG is not ALL of Kubota rd baler brgs are lubricated by grease bank but I'm not familiar with hay tension on the Kubota rd baler. Is you baler fixed or variable bale chamber?

Yrs ago I had a baler with automatic chain oiler that I stopped putting oil in that reservoir due to premature chain failure. I think the premature chain wear had to do with soil type in my area.

/ Getting hay balers ready
Well back to hay balers. Here we are back at it today on some more repairs & improvements on the Hesston 4910.
1653691321994.jpeg

One thing I noticed with last years knotter issues was a few twine fingers were not working properly. They weren’t getting oiled. Got into those and got them free and moving again.

1653691455392.jpeg

Also had a bearing getting loose. Got that off and replaced.

1653691528290.jpeg

Rain started moving in while doing my last repair for the day-replacing a worn out driveshaft U-joint.

1653691602453.jpeg

Back together and ready to bale!

1653691747266.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Getting hay balers ready #55  
I bet Agri-Supply is less that the HayDr. In as much as you are running it and you seem to be pretty conscientious, I don't see you getting tangled up in it anyway.
Most dealers can sell the Bare-Co shield for CV-PTO's. AGRI-Supply does not list any CV Shield applications. There is a difference than a CV PTO Shield and a standard PTO shield. I don't sell the BARE-CO system but it is a very good system of shielding. The key is safety. I'm not trying to profit off this customer.

/ Getting hay balers ready #56  
I'm going to slow down my complaining to the Wife about me maintaining the hay equipment after seeing these rigs. My Hesston 1091 Mower/Conditioner, MF120 Baler, and New Idea 402 Rake take a few hours each every year to maintain. I rebuilt the hay wagon this year that took a good 12 hours or more Lol.