Oil & Fuel Getting ready to change oil for the first time

/ Getting ready to change oil for the first time #1  

duffer

Platinum Member
Tractor
'16 Mahindra 2538
Getting ready to do an oil change in my 2538.

Anything "tricky" I should know before I unscrew the oil filter and both drain plugs?

thanx in advance.

/ Getting ready to change oil for the first time #2  
Getting ready to do an oil change in my 2538.

Anything "tricky" I should know before I unscrew the oil filter and both drain plugs?

thanx in advance.

Just did my 50 hour service today on my 2538. The oil drain plug had to be taken off with my air gun. They were tight as was the hydraulic drain. Had to use a chain oil wrench to get hydraulic filter off! Oil filter came off easier. I had to put more oil in than what the manual said in the engine.

/ Getting ready to change oil for the first time #3  
That's a common theme- the chassis is assembled and filters installed before some type of nuclear glue disguised as black paint is applied to everything. Impact gun and good filter wrenches are strongly advised!

/ Getting ready to change oil for the first time #4  
The drain plugs for engine oil & hydraulic oil were easy - simply use the correct sized closed end wrench. The filters were put on by a wildly rabid gorilla and I had to use a chain type filter wrench. I firmly believe the unit was painted AFTER the filters were installed and that may have made them "tight".

One word of caution - if you are doing the engine/hydraulic oil changes correctly - the oils will be hot - be prepared for this or wear rubber gloves. I dropped one of the engine oil plug into the "soup" and had to fish it out.

/ Getting ready to change oil for the first time
Great suggestions guys, thanx !!

Since my dealer hasn't gotten me an owners manual yet (only been 4 months), I was unaware of having the oil hot when changing it.

Bought 2 gallons of Rotella, so hopefully that will be more than sufficient for an oil change.