Getting ready to seriously consider a used KX121-3 or KX040

/ Getting ready to seriously consider a used KX121-3 or KX040 #1  

Happy Gilmore

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 5610 Ford 4630 Ford 3930 MFWD w/ 7310 loader Ford 3930 Kubota BX1500 Kubota RTV 900XT Kubota F2680E 72"RD Ford 4610 Kubota KX121-3
I've been seriously thinking about purchasing a used lower hour (2000 hrs or less) KX121-3 with a cab. It'll be for general use on the farm, not really looking to travel with it. I'm thinking I'd like to be $40k or less depending on the machine. The newer KX040 is gonna be a bit more than that for price used. Differences between the two? Any pointers on what to look for as far as mechanical concerns and what is most prone to wear at how many hours?

/ Getting ready to seriously consider a used KX121-3 or KX040
Any thoughts guys?

/ Getting ready to seriously consider a used KX121-3 or KX040 #3  
I've also been looking for a used kx121 or kx091. They are much harder to find than the other brands. Most of the nice used ones are in the high 30's or low 40's. I can't justify it, but I priced a new kx040 w/o cab for right under 50k. They have a $2300 rebate right now. Good luck.

/ Getting ready to seriously consider a used KX121-3 or KX040 #4  
Your price range says a KX-121!

/ Getting ready to seriously consider a used KX121-3 or KX040 #5  
Just check the track condition and how wore it is, and check all the idlers, make sure none are seized. The tracks usually wear before anything else. I have seen them at 2000 hours with the tracks wore smooth. And that's about the biggest expense you will have with them.
Engines and hydraulics are pretty reliable.....just have a look at fluids to see if it has been maintained.

/ Getting ready to seriously consider a used KX121-3 or KX040
Just check the track condition and how wore it is, and check all the idlers, make sure none are seized. The tracks usually wear before anything else. I have seen them at 2000 hours with the tracks wore smooth. And that's about the biggest expense you will have with them. Engines and hydraulics are pretty reliable.....just have a look at fluids to see if it has been maintained.

There isn't a whole lot out there in my area as far as used in a KX121, I'm not in a rush, so I can take my time with it.

Last edited:
   / Getting ready to seriously consider a used KX121-3 or KX040 #7  
The differences with the KX040 and KX 121-3 is the KX 040 is Tier 4 compliant, the 121 was interim Tier IV. The KX 040 will have a better designed cab with a little more room and an updated computer monitoring system. I bet they claim better economy too.

Figure out whether a thumb is a requirement Also consider the blade, these models have 3 front blade designs. One is a straight blade, the other is an angle blade and there is a 6 in 1blade that angles and tilts. The thumb and blade options are what will be the difference base price across the machines.

Other than greasing the machine, the next most frequent maintance item is to drain/change final drive oil at 50h then every 200 there after, Hyrdaulic oil filter change every 250 hours, then engine oil at 500 hours.

As others have said tracks are about 1 k a piece.

/ Getting ready to seriously consider a used KX121-3 or KX040 #8  
A friend just (last week) bought a Cat mini 305.5cr that was on a 5 month (Cat) rental.
300+/- hours, cab, grading (swivel) bucket about 40", and a 22" or so digging bucket, hyd. thumb, and a wedge lock type bucket/attachment mount.
From Milton for $35k I thought he did very well. The year end timing might have had something to do with it.

I'm not sure how you check the drive motors & related gearing, but with the blade, a lot of guy's end up driving the heck out of these little mini's putting a lot of equivalent (digging) hours on those components. The "bottom" is pretty cheap compared to a "regular" ex. but I have known a few guy's that have found out that the individual components of the drive system are not available and had to be bought as a whole. I think that this was on a Tak. machine.