Getting rid of a bumpy 4 acre yard

/ Getting rid of a bumpy 4 acre yard #31  
First, what type of grass ?

Second, if you live in OH, you do not have much growing time left this yr do you? In SE TX, we prob would but w this horrible drought, can till concrete....

Lastly, what caused all the ruts in the first place? Will it happen again? Since no one knows that type of grass you have, the whole project depends in deep rooted grass vs 3-6" rooted grass, growing season left, current soil moisture/fertility levels and what implements you have or can access. Until I know this, everything is pure speculation and that's not how I plan projects, esp w potentially series cost implications...I think others have requested that info too.

/ Getting rid of a bumpy 4 acre yard #32  
After 28 years my 4 acre lawn is filled with ruts about 1 to 3 inches deep. Mostly the result of weather and use. Needless to say that mowing the yard is a very bumpy task and makes the task take a lot longer then before. I use a commercial JD zero turn that should let me mow quicker except for the ruts. I have a JD 2305 compact deisel. I really don't want to start all over by removing the grass and using a box blade, land plane, or soil roller, all of which I don't have and can't rent. I do have a 48 inch rotor tiller that would work except it would get rid of the grass which I'm trying to avoid. I'm thinking that just putting down a soil / sand mixture would be the ticket except I can't find any suppliers that have say a 50/50 mix. Getting top soil and sand delivered is do able, but mixing the two would be quite a job. It would take quite a bit of material to fill the ruts, and then drag it out. Any thoughts on how to level a 4 acre yard without starting all over from bare soil would be greatly appreciated. Northeast Ohio weather can be cruel at times.
I’ve got the same exact problem on my 5 acres in Florida that’s seeded in Argentine Bahia. So far I’m considering the tiller option for 1 acre but interested in other suggestions. BTW it’s appears that my ruts were caused by the seed being washed away because it was only broadcasted and not covered IMO

/ Getting rid of a bumpy 4 acre yard #33  
Since you have Bahia, it’s extremely hearty and can w stand a variety of inconveniences

You could first lightly disc going the same directions as ruts, the come again perpendicular to ruts to even out, as long as you’re not on an incline w last past going downhill. This option is also dependent on deceit soil moisture w predictable rain in forecast to help booster new growth. Since FL, you’re growing seasons are longer too.

/ Getting rid of a bumpy 4 acre yard #34  
With a red clay yard, when it rains hard the clay turns to feathers on the hills and collects in 4” high ridges going down hill. When it starts to loosen my fillings, I get the Howse 20” cutter head disk out then run back and forth set about 3-4” deep so I do not tear up the plumbing or wiring. Then I drag a 12 ft wide chain link fence gate all over the place, in the spring. So when it rains on the mess, the chopped up half buried grass comes up, nice and level. Let grow 3-4” high and cut, smile a lot. I have 10 acres of this mess, wife’s yard. I would plant corn, bush hog it and have a bird shoot.
Oh Tifton #9 a hybrid Bahia on rolling hills.

/ Getting rid of a bumpy 4 acre yard #35  
With a red clay yard, when it rains hard the clay turns to feathers on the hills and collects in 4” high ridges going down hill. When it starts to loosen my fillings, I get the Howse 20” cutter head disk out then run back and forth set about 3-4” deep so I do not tear up the plumbing or wiring. Then I drag a 12 ft wide chain link fence gate all over the place, in the spring. So when it rains on the mess, the chopped up half buried grass comes up, nice and level. Let grow 3-4” high and cut, smile a lot. I have 10 acres of this mess, wife’s yard. I would plant corn, bush hog it and have a bird shoot.
Oh Tifton #9 a hybrid Bahia on rolling hills.
LOL My yard is worth more per square than my house. I wanted to rock the whole thing, but then leaderships dog would not have a place to go potty (still craps in the drive way).

I have cut and repaired the sewer line three times in two years:)

Best,

ed

/ Getting rid of a bumpy 4 acre yard #36  
I agree with several comments. I would steer clear of sand unless you want an ant farm. Top soil is great. Use as a top dressing. You can spread it (thin) with a box blade with the teeth removed. this is the best time of year to do it. 1st of September. Spread a good coat of quality seed and don’t forget starter fertilizer.(I’m in central Illinois - I like tall fescue and cut my grass at about 4 inches to shade out most of the weeds.) you should have a nice yard by Thanksgiving.
I have moles so i too have a bumpy yard.

/ Getting rid of a bumpy 4 acre yard #37  
After 28 years my 4 acre lawn is filled with ruts about 1 to 3 inches deep. Mostly the result of weather and use. Needless to say that mowing the yard is a very bumpy task and makes the task take a lot longer then before. I use a commercial JD zero turn that should let me mow quicker except for the ruts. I have a JD 2305 compact deisel. I really don't want to start all over by removing the grass and using a box blade, land plane, or soil roller, all of which I don't have and can't rent. I do have a 48 inch rotor tiller that would work except it would get rid of the grass which I'm trying to avoid. I'm thinking that just putting down a soil / sand mixture would be the ticket except I can't find any suppliers that have say a 50/50 mix. Getting top soil and sand delivered is do able, but mixing the two would be quite a job. It would take quite a bit of material to fill the ruts, and then drag it out. Any thoughts on how to level a 4 acre yard without starting all over from bare soil would be greatly appreciated. Northeast Ohio weather can be cruel at times.
Rototill and drag smooth, then seed and roll in. Suspect ruts came from driving on when too wet.

/ Getting rid of a bumpy 4 acre yard #38  
It all depends on the yard - if the ruts are all over you are going to have to get very aggressive like Beenthere stated - rototill and start over. I use a chain drag behind my lawnmower. You can pull it backward for less aggressive and forward for more aggressive. Sometimes if I have a particularly bad area I put some weight on the drag to make it even more aggressive. It is amazing how much the yard has smoothed from the roughness caused by rodents and weather ( freeze/thaw) through the years.

/ Getting rid of a bumpy 4 acre yard #39  
My two acres of "lawn" is field grass that has been mowed for 40 years. No matter what I do - it still comes back with the fall rains. I've used my LPGS with scarifiers down to smooth out a particularly bumpy section. Works just great.

/ Getting rid of a bumpy 4 acre yard #40  
roll it in spring after a good rainy spell.