Getting Rid of Mice in my shop ?

/ Getting Rid of Mice in my shop ? #1  

Hiltz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 790
Hey Guys, I have a mouse problem in my shop and have an idea of how to get rid of them without messy traps or dangerous poisons. See what you think.
I thought I would simply start up my John Deere 790 and let it run for an hour letting diesel fumes and carbon monoxide kill the litttle critters. Now my shop is well insulated and pretty air tight so the fumes will certainly fill up the shop area. Do you guys think the mouse will suffocate or as they are getting little headaches in their little heads do you think they will try to scamper outdoors. Oh, Im gonna put a timer on the tractor while Im outside the shop. Think it will work?

/ Getting Rid of Mice in my shop ? #2  
Your tractor may die from a headache before the mice do.:laughing:

/ Getting Rid of Mice in my shop ? #3  
Get a cat man.

I used to hate them, not anymore.

I live in a hundred year old house........no mice

/ Getting Rid of Mice in my shop ? #4  
You would just stink up your shop more than anything doing that. It would take gasoline combustion and a lot of it to fill up the shop enough to do any damage to the mice. Your best bet is sticky traps or cats.

/ Getting Rid of Mice in my shop ? #5  
Bad idea.
From an odds of probability standpoint, too many things can accidentally go wrong and all of them have unhappy endings.
Maybe seal up the barn openings, vac up all the mouse nest material and call it good.
After that, consider a cat.

/ Getting Rid of Mice in my shop ? #7  
I have the same problem in my camp. regular traps only get one at a time so not very effective. A fella described a trap that keeps working.
Get a bucket and fill it deeper than a mouse can touch he bottom. use a can or some type of cylinder that you can string a small wire thru. Slide the wire thru a small hole in both ends of the can then string the wire tightly across the mouth odf the bucket. Smear peanut butter in a narrow strip around the middle of the can so the mice have to be fully on the can to get the butter. Make it so the can will easily rotate.

the idea is that the mice will get on the can/cylinder, as they eat the butter on top they will start to move to the edge of the can to get the stuff down the sides. as they move to the edge they will cause the can to rotate and fall in the bucket.

I been using it and it works great

/ Getting Rid of Mice in my shop ? #8  
I have the same problem in my camp. regular traps only get one at a time so not very effective. A fella described a trap that keeps working.
Get a bucket and fill it deeper than a mouse can touch he bottom. use a can or some type of cylinder that you can string a small wire thru. Slide the wire thru a small hole in both ends of the can then string the wire tightly across the mouth odf the bucket. Smear peanut butter in a narrow strip around the middle of the can so the mice have to be fully on the can to get the butter. Make it so the can will easily rotate.

the idea is that the mice will get on the can/cylinder, as they eat the butter on top they will start to move to the edge of the can to get the stuff down the sides. as they move to the edge they will cause the can to rotate and fall in the bucket.

I'll have to agree with this one. I have a friend who uses that same method to keep the rodent population down in his cabin. Works great :thumbsup:!

Joe

/ Getting Rid of Mice in my shop ? #9  
This is simply brilliant. Thank you.

/ Getting Rid of Mice in my shop ? #10  
I tried the bucket, It froze and they ate all the peanut butter. I also tried the tractor exhaust thing. Will never know until the place starts to stink of dead mice. Mice won't chew on closed cell foam, So I finally went around my camp and foamed every crack I thought a mouse could crawl through. Then I set my traps as a backup. Been a year without mice.