Gittery controls

/ Gittery controls #1  

Vetteboy76

Tractor
Massy 1723eb
Controls are jittery and sometimes stop completely when in use. 1500 rpm tractor has very little lifting power. 2100 rpm tractor seems powerful but still controls are jerky. Anyone else experiencing this? 1723eb

/ Gittery controls #2  
VB76, thanks for joining. Most members here are eager to help, unfortunately, the symptoms described are very vague. Kind of like saying "my tractor won't start". Should probably include hour meter, has the issue always existed, any recent maintenance, what is the tractor being used for when this happens, is the tractor cold(just started) or hot(warmed up). Might want to add how comfortable you are working on it.

/ Gittery controls #3  
loader controls or backhoe controls?

/ Gittery controls #4  
fwiw 1500rpm is only slightly (approx 450rpm) off warmed up idle, stuff will be weak.
backhoe...very easy to make it jerky. not necessarily bad its just sensitive and the side-side swing is very easy to jerk.

Last edited:
   / Gittery controls #5  
Could be one of three things-an injector not working(engine miss), broken engine mount(s) or in my case at one time the main drive shaft was out of balance and dealer fixed by moving shaft.

/ Gittery controls #6  
fwiw 1500rpm is only slightly (approx 450rpm) off warmed up idle, stuff will be weak.
backhoe...very easy to make it jerky. not necessarily bad its just sensitive and the side-side swing is very easy to jerk.
Yep, 1500 may as well be idle, I don't do anything at idle except warm it up or if I'm getting off for a minute or 5. ~2100 I'll do moving just moving it a bit, but not doing any work. Everything else I do is at PTO speed (green on the tach). I don't have a backhoe, but I understand that they are sensitive and take some getting used to to not be jerky, but I still would not use the backhoe at less than PTO RPM. Don't be afraid to push the throttle up, hydraulic pumps will all be happier and run more efficiently.

/ Gittery controls #7  
I do, if possible, lift my 3pt at idle due to how gc2400 engages lift. unlike newer GC units can't just feather lever to lift minute amounts. its either lifting or not.

/ Gittery controls #8  
I do, if possible, lift my 3pt at idle due to how gc2400 engages lift. unlike newer GC units can't just feather lever to lift minute amounts. its either lifting or not.
I can see were that would be a problem slamming an implement to the top. I guess I'm glad they changed that.

/ Gittery controls #9  
There is no need to run tractor at PTO speed to operate hydraulics. Running higher RPM produces more flow which can make operations or functions move faster accenting a poorly metering valve vs improving smoothness. If running higher RPM works for you great, but it may not work for everybody.

Jittery operation is frequently a poorly metering valve and or an unskilled operator or a combination of both.