Glad I Bought Chinese Tractor

/ Glad I Bought Chinese Tractor #1  

3RRL

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
Tractor
55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284
I was browsing around the other forums and couldn't help notice that many of the other brands have numerous posts about problems on their machines. I wonder how much of a value it is to pay the additional money for them? Compared to what we pay to do our maintenance and fix our problems? Theirs must cost the same or more?

I'm glad I bought Chinese...

/ Glad I Bought Chinese Tractor #2  
I know the parts for ours are really cheap as compared to other brands. We pay around 150 dollars for a hydraulic pump and I'm sure the big three is at least double that for the same GPM. Alternators, water pumps and etc I imagine are DITTO.........

/ Glad I Bought Chinese Tractor #3  
johnk said:
I know the parts for ours are really cheap as compared to other brands. We pay around 150 dollars for a hydraulic pump and I'm sure the big three is at least double that for the same GPM. Alternators, water pumps and etc I imagine are DITTO.........

Well playing devils advocate here, let me just say that I currently own 2 of the big 3 brands and I've never had to replace an alternator, hydraulic pump, water pump, etc. (one is 6 years old, the other is 3 years old) In fact other than minor parts like clips, I've never broken or replaced any major component at all.

/ Glad I Bought Chinese Tractor #4  
That is good to know that they are dependable, but when the time comes and one of those parts fail, the price will most likely be more considerable than for our Chinese Irons.. Knock on Wood...I hope everyone with all brands has thousands of trouble free hours except normal maintinance....

/ Glad I Bought Chinese Tractor #5  
over a year

I bought my Jinma 204 4wd 2 cyl a year ago - I now have about 150 hours on it. Today I had to move my direct tv dish which required a 50 foot ditch and some buried cable. My potatoe plough and the ditch was done - took longer to run the pipe and cable - it would have been half the day to dig by hand and I would have been cranky. I have had to replace a fuel line - had a minor problem with the front steering but other than that it keeps humming - Yes I am glad I bought my Chinese tractor - just sorry it wasn't 12 years ago when we bought our five acres.
John

/ Glad I Bought Chinese Tractor
Mind you, I'm not knocking the other brands here. I know they need maintenance and repairs like all machines do as evidenced by posts in other threads. My point being the more costly initial purchase price and (apparantly) cost of repairs appears to be greater?? Maintenance costs are probably equal, oil and filters being just that...unless dealers charge more for brand specific. That is the basics of this thread.

When I first got my Kama, I had never driven a tractor before ... let alone know anything about it. I had read up on them and made spread sheets to compare features and specs vs price with other tractors so I could make a relatively "educated wild guess" as to which one I would buy. Even scarier, I was going to buy "online"... sight unseen. I had gone to the local tractor dealer but the Kobutas and MF I saw were out of my price range, and I had seen many ads on eBay of some brand new nice looking tractors that had similar hp ratings and much cheaper.

I decided to buy Chinese because of the huge price difference and was really not sure how much I'd actually "use" the tractor, so no sense in buying something expensive when this one wil do just fine. Now I had to figure out "which" Chinese tractor to buy. I chose the KAMA 554 for it's robust construction and many features for the same price or better price. The downside was it was not as popular as the other brands, but heck, I really didn't know anything about THEM either. Using my engineering smarts from way back, I tried to focus on those features I knew were mechanically sound.

I was aware of it's features but not experienced in using them. Least of all was knowing it's "real world" capabilities. As it turns out, this machine is "quite" capable of doing every task I've set out to do, within it's capacities. I've had zero mechanical problems failures. The only thing I had a problem with was some loose ground wires that took me a while to figure out and then I changed the fuses to like what's used in cars. I've done the scheduled services myself including valve lash adjustment and head bolt re-torquing, further adding to my savings. I've also made many improvements and customized it to my liking ... which I would have done regardless which brand I bought.

At this point, after nearly 200hrs of service, the tractor has paid for itself. My road guy charges $87.50/hr (way more for the dozer) so if I called him for every hour I spent on the tractor ... well, you do the math. The 200 hours are really more like 300 or 350 because the tractor's hour meter only reads true when running at rated rpm and I rarely run it at those rpm. So I figure I've gotten my money's worth and then some already.

Last edited:
   / Glad I Bought Chinese Tractor #7  
Hey Rob,

This sounds very encouraging. I'm seriously consider getting a KAMA just like yours since it has been proven machanically reliable. I saw them selling on ebay for $15k with free shipping. It that a good deal? Where did you buy yours?

The sight unseen part was what scares me when considering a chinese tractor. I wish there's a chinese tractor dealer near me so I see one up close and may be test drive one. I hate to spend that kind of $ on something I can't touch and hear it run before buying it.

/ Glad I Bought Chinese Tractor
Hi Tom,
I got your email but have not made time to respond....shame on me...
I haven't looked at pricing lately but I'm sure they are still a great value. I hear the new ones are nicer than the old ones and they get better each year.
I bought mine at Triple T Sales Missourri Tractors and had it shipped to my rural property. If I had to do it over again, I'd buy from Chip at Artrac. I got 3 quotes for the Kama and his price was within $100 of the lowest price. When it came time to order, he was out of stock on the 554 and it would have been several months to get one in so I went to the lowest price but he was also out of stock. So I ended up buying from Triple T Sales who was $1,000 higher, but had the tractor in stock (supposedly). He ended up delivering over 6 weeks after I wired the money....(very bad salesman no longer employed there) Had I known, I would have just waited and bought from Chip, who told me the truth.
Chip is a member here and has helped me with my Kama. Search members for Bluechip. I'm sure he'll give you a good deal and great service...maybe a kickback for me too???:) :eek: :p

/ Glad I Bought Chinese Tractor #9  
3RRL said:
IAt this point, after nearly 200hrs of service, the tractor has paid for itself. My road guy charges $87.50/hr (way more for the dozer) so if I called him for every hour I spent on the tractor ... well, you do the math. The 200 hours are really more like 300 or 350 because the tractor's hour meter only reads true when running at rated rpm and I rarely run it at those rpm. So I figure I've gotten my money's worth and then some already.

I agree. When you can equate a 'purchase price plus repair costs' with a 'work done' and price issue. It is pretty easy to get a economy or less expensive tractor to pay for itself, dolalr wise.

When we were building our house, the contractor was going to charge a hefty amount to backfill behind the house and grade. We had a steeper incline than my wife wanted.. so i just had them leave all the extra pad dirt, and lot scrapings on site ( I actually got credit for them not having to haul it off.. ), and I bought my yanmar 1700 and a 30" scoop, and every day went aout there and moved that fill material, then box bladed it out, and then move dthe grassy lot scrapings and then bladed it out.

Worked out great... and as a side bonus.. about 75% o fthe grassy strippings took and grew and i didn't even have to sod behind the house.

All I had invested was the ? 2900$ in the yanmar, and the scoop? 89$ and a rusty old beater 5' box blade for 100$ I found at a junk dealers place.

When i had finished moving that dirt.. i aded up the hours and had easilly paid for that tractor.. was a nice feeling..

Soundguy

/ Glad I Bought Chinese Tractor #10  

Attachments

• 6-14-2006 Gravel 047.jpg
    6-14-2006 Gravel 047.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 229
  • 6-21-2006 Cabin 002.jpg
    6-21-2006 Cabin 002.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 226
  • 6-21-2006 Cabin 010.jpg
    6-21-2006 Cabin 010.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 225