Glow Plug Problem

/ Glow Plug Problem #21  
I'm going to add that I TOO have the issues with my glow plug light coming on and then going off after only like 2 seconds, and when engine running it'll come on for 2-4 seconds and then go off. Did you guys just order the timer OR did you get the controller and timer:

SBA385870301 NH timer ($61.36)
SBA385870300 contoller ($54.76)

Should I get both for my TC34DA? I think I better get to gettin' before the winter sets in... Thanks in advance!

Max
I only replaced my timer. I wasn't aware there was a controller.

/ Glow Plug Problem #22  
I had the same problem with my TC40D. I'm the type of guy who likes to take things apart. The timer comes apart easily enough. Some close examination revealed a bad solder joint. A quick solder job and it's working fine. Now I can use the money I saved to buy beer.

Bob

/ Glow Plug Problem #23  
I'm going to add that I TOO have the issues with my glow plug light coming on and then going off after only like 2 seconds, and when engine running it'll come on for 2-4 seconds and then go off. Did you guys just order the timer OR did you get the controller and timer:

SBA385870301 NH timer ($61.36)
SBA385870300 contoller ($54.76)

Should I get both for my TC34DA? I think I better get to gettin' before the winter sets in... Thanks in advance!

Max

My glow plugs had the indentical symptoms as yours. I replaced only the timer and all is well. Some of the later tractors have the timer and controller all combined and the price rediculous, something like $150.

/ Glow Plug Problem #24  
My glow plugs had the indentical symptoms as yours. I replaced only the timer and all is well. Some of the later tractors have the timer and controller all combined and the price rediculous, something like $150.

Thanks for the reply(s) I think I might just get both, never know... I'll let everyone know how it goes...

/ Glow Plug Problem #25  
Apparently I`m having the same glow plug problem on my TC34DA , it came on and won`t go out(when key is on). Ran it this way for about 1 hour.I think it drained my battery-hope it didn`t ruin any glow plugs?

/ Glow Plug Problem #26  
Apparently I`m having the same glow plug problem on my TC34DA , it came on and won`t go out(when key is on). Ran it this way for about 1 hour.I think it drained my battery-hope it didn`t ruin any glow plugs?

I would try to directly power the glow plug with jumper wire to make sure they heat up, if they do then I would follow what Jim suggested in #23, three posts up. I'm sure dear Jim would respond to you but he is no longer amongst us :-( , probably he is moderating TBN-Heaven discussion board.

JC,

/ Glow Plug Problem #27  
This sounds dumb, but where are the glow plugs located and what do they look like?

/ Glow Plug Problem #28  
This sounds dumb, but where are the glow plugs located and what do they look like?

Usually , there is a bank of them 2 to 4 depending the number of engine cylinder. They are machined in to the head. They look like spark plug although they are not. They have electric element i them that heat up when the circuit in energized. They are always daisy chained electrically so unlike automotive spark plug have on wire that feeds them all. The wire is positive and body of the glow plug is negative, so if you directly put juice (12 volt) on it's terminal it heats up. Warning , don't plug and walk away as it will burn the plug , juice it up for 20 second and then try to start. saying that I would first get a test light and put the rig in pre-heat and verify if you have power in the circuit.

JC,

You see two glow plugs under the injector and a bus bar that connect them both in series.

/ Glow Plug Problem #29  
This is an old thread. just noticed that I do have a better picture early in the thread.

/ Glow Plug Problem #30  
Think I`ve them located-thanks for the help(looking for a wire ,not a bus bar) Thanks again