Gluing PVC Pipe under water/ Pond overflow

/ Gluing PVC Pipe under water/ Pond overflow
I ran to Home Depot then home at lunch. I went looking for the rubber Fernco fittings and just happened to see this test plug. No more rain than we are supposed to get I think this will do the trick until dry season. There is a 2nd overflow that is about 6" higher than this one also, so there is no danger of something bad happening.

20220601_115349.jpg

/ Gluing PVC Pipe under water/ Pond overflow #13  
Beware, plugging the lower pipe reduces your spillway by half. If you get a rain storm that overwhelms the second pipe, be prepared to open the first pipe. Water over flowing your dam can cut the dam very quickly.

Beware, plugging the lower pipe reduces your spillway by half. If you get a rain storm that overwhelms the second pipe, be prepared to open the first pipe. Water over flowing your dam can cut the dam very quickly.

I'll keep an eye out. At this point we are normally done with the big rains, I'll rig something more permanent this summer.

/ Gluing PVC Pipe under water/ Pond overflow #15  
I put T's on the end of the over flow pipes and take the water 4 or 5" below the surface that way it doesn't get plugged with anything floating on the surface. Never glued one and never had any come off, you can't even pull them off.

/ Gluing PVC Pipe under water/ Pond overflow #16  
You don't need to glue it just stick it on.
Tap it on snug and it will do fine. That will also permit you to remove it if you want to lower the water level again.

/ Gluing PVC Pipe under water/ Pond overflow #17  
I agree that for the future a friction fit should be fine, but sand the gunk off first. There is next to no pressure on the joint.

I am not sure how water tight your cap is, but a couple layers of electrical tape should help, or a little caulk on the inside.

All the best,

Peter

/ Gluing PVC Pipe under water/ Pond overflow #18  
I am not sure how water tight your cap is, but a couple layers of electrical tape should help, or a little caulk on the inside.

All the best,

Peter
If you talking about the plug he installed being water tight. That plug is what we use to test plumbing, and to just keep things out until a fixture is installed.
It's a water tight rubber plug

No picture, but the pond is up about 2 inches this morning! We got a heavy shower yesterday evening and apparently ground water is still weeping toward the pond.

/ Gluing PVC Pipe under water/ Pond overflow #20  
No hub clamp, compression union, dresser coupling. Those three take wrenches not glue.