Goat Recipes

/ Goat Recipes #1  

HawkinsHollow

Veteran Member
Tractor
Branson 3015R
I really enjoy eating goat, but I have never really made it for myself. I have mostly eaten it during my travels in places that eat goat. I would love to raise some goat, but I don't have time for that at the moment. I have a friend that goat some goats to clean out some land for him and he is ready to get rid of a few, so he is going to give me a nice year old. I am not worried about butchering as I have done many deer, rabbits, pigs, etc. I plan on taking one of the rear haunches and smoke it on my pellet grill, will make some stew, a few roasts and maybe a bit of ground. I was wondering if anyone has any good goat recipes? I will report back with how it goes.

/ Goat Recipes #2  
I used to love getting goat roti when over my friends place, she moved years ago though :-(
West Indian dish.

/ Goat Recipes #4  
My understanding is most cultures that eat goat cook it very low and slow because it is so tough.

Wife wanted goats on the property, but I don't want to deal with trying to keep them contained. Little buggers will chew through anything. (Or just climb over)

/ Goat Recipes #5  
Electric pressure cooker (insta-pot), bit of lime juice, and your favorite Mexican fajita seasoning, some charcoal smoked pablato peppers, 4 or so cloves of garlic, and 2 or 3 hours on the cooker, maybe some chicken broth, and some Chipotle sauce. Great on tacos. If you like more heat, throw some additional pepper varies in, but the pablatos give you flavor, a bit of warm, none I'd the burn. I throw the peppers whole on the grill, till soft, and a bit charred.

Pick apart, separate solids from liquid, dip tortillas in the juices, throw a line butter in a skillet, throw tortilla with a good pinch of meat/peppers, a healthy pinch of a good creamy white Mexican cheese

Edit: I'm not a fan of citrusy meat, so I squeeze the juice of 1 lime; but somepeople quarter the lime, and just throw it in the cooker, and get the flavors/oils from the peel. I'm just after the acids to break down the meat, and a touch of the flavor

Last edited:
   / Goat Recipes #6  
Some Filipino friends butchered ours. I grilled the backstrap and it turned out delicious. I would suggest a venison recipe. It cooks fast and doesn't have much fat, similar to venison.

/ Goat Recipes
Electric pressure cooker (insta-pot), bit of lime juice, and your favorite Mexican fajita seasoning, some charcoal smoked pablato peppers, 4 or so cloves of garlic, and 2 or 3 hours on the cooker, maybe some chicken broth, and some Chipotle sauce. Great on tacos. If you like more heat, throw some additional pepper varies in, but the pablatos give you flavor, a bit of warm, none I'd the burn. I throw the peppers whole on the grill, till soft, and a bit charred.

Pick apart, separate solids from liquid, dip tortillas in the juices, throw a line butter in a skillet, throw tortilla with a good pinch of meat/peppers, a healthy pinch of a good creamy white Mexican cheese

Edit: I'm not a fan of citrusy meat, so I squeeze the juice of 1 lime; but somepeople quarter the lime, and just throw it in the cooker, and get the flavors/oils from the peel. I'm just after the acids to break down the meat, and a touch of the flavor
That sounds really good, thanks for the recipe!!

/ Goat Recipes #9  
Long ago - over 50+ years - there was a Greek restaurant in Anchorage, AK. They had the MOST delicious lasagna. We ALL loved to eat there. Great lasagna and Greek wine.

Then the wife found out - they used goat meat in this lasagna. Those days of great fun and frivolity were over.

Somehow - a Big Mac just didn't have the same pleasure.