Goats ate the invasives

/ Goats ate the invasives #21  
You sure about that? My neighbors goats are super friendly. They come when called. Love to have some affection and rubs. Very communicative. They are not dumb creatures. Nowhere near a dog, sure.
My sister raises goats and it is not uncommon for them to go into the house open the bread box and take one slice of bread! They are more human related than dogs.

/ Goats ate the invasives #22  
We never had goats when I was growing up, but one of my best friend's did on their farm.

They used to be little escape artists. Almost like mice, in that if they could fit their head through the space, they would somehow figure out how to get their whole body through the opening. They were constantly (it seemed anyway) getting out.

/ Goats ate the invasives #23  
Amazing how two or three herding dogs can control a flock and in new surroundings almost daily...

Watched the flock load up to move to another contract location and the dogs did it all... except drive the truck!

/ Goats ate the invasives #24  
I'd talked to one person who provided this service. They used an LGD (Livestock Guard Dog) and a Llama or two.

/ Goats ate the invasives #25  
Can you just stake them in the woods with a chain and let them clear out a circle and move them every couple days? Kinda Jurassic park style?

/ Goats ate the invasives #26  
Can you just stake them in the woods with a chain and let them clear out a circle and move them every couple days? Kinda Jurassic park style?
It'll work until they wrap themselves up and kill themselves.

Goats have a death wish!

I recommend NEVER staking out any animals unless there's supervision.

/ Goats ate the invasives #27  
We have coyote and mountain lions and this is within city limits...

Even young a young calf was preyed upon...

/ Goats ate the invasives #28  
One of the owners of a local feed producer told me that she'd seen/had a California Golden Eagle drop down and feast on a newly born calf (they raise prize cattle). Nothing they can do about it. For me, I'm a HUGE believer in dogs: I've had an incredible dog who would chase off ANY ground-based or aerial predator: a neighbor has a full fledged LGD [Great Pyrenees] and said that it would watch eagles pick off their chickens; my shelter-rescue mutt was the greatest $72 I ever spent.

Anyway... It's a big deal ensuring that you protect your animals. They're under your care. But, sigh, with goats it's not enough to protect them from predators, you've got to also protect them from THEMSELVES! (pigs are also escape artists, but they don't try to kill themselves)

/ Goats ate the invasives #29  
Having raised goats/sheep, I have NEVER considered them pets: They don't act as pets. I have a nephew that loved his pet lizard. I'm very sure that his lizard didn't love him.
Same with goats. Your goat can't love you bacK, or even know to: like a dog can. Thats why we love dogs and eat goats.
Our Nubian goats all have very distinct personalities, come when called, know their names and love getting rubbed on and scratched behind the ears. They're genuinely excited when they see you and they love to play too, with people or other goats. Much like any animal, I suspect you get out of them what you put in. This is an interesting article if you're curious about goats:

Goats Are as Smart And Loving as Dogs, According to Science

I probably wouldn't take any of my goats duck hunting or let them sleep in the house but when we first got them I was surprised at how much like dogs they were.

/ Goats ate the invasives #30  
We have coyote and mountain lions and this is within city limits...

Even young a young calf was preyed upon...
Back in the 90s, I knew a Professional Trapper for the State of California. Most of his work in dealing with Mountain Lions was in Crow Canyon, but there where Lions all over the East Bay. It was common for a Lion to kill a dozen or more goats or sheep and not eat any of them. Pets disappear every night from Lions. Every year, more problem Lions are killed by Professional Trappers then the yearly total from when it was legal to hunt them.