Going in reverse?

/ Going in reverse? #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
Curious about my L2501 DT. I was working on a creek bank on the back side of my property a couple of weeks ago. Preparing to put a piece of corrugated pipe for a crossing. Small creek. I could just drop four railroad ties and it would work. The bank was getting slippery and when backing up and dragging the bucket to smooth off the bank on the near side. It would really start slipping badly as the rear barrs started clogging up. I would raise the bucket and then drop it and push back to help get me unstuck. Front wheels were starting to sink in so curling would push me back enough. Now for the question. Would it do any good to stomp on the lever that locks the wheels for backing up through a messy area? I've only used it going forward never in reverse. I was wondering if that would help in reverse or will it cause havoc in the transmission? Thanks.

/ Going in reverse? #2  
To the best of my knowledge the differential lock is designed to operate going forward or in reverse.

The diff lock is often used to get your tractor unstuck. Sometimes you gotta rock forward and back to do achieve this. I think if this were bad for your machine the manufacturer would need to put that in the manual.

Whether or not it'll do you any good is a different question, but it's worth a shot.

/ Going in reverse? #3  
No problem using the diff lock but if both rears are already spinning it won't help. Diff lock on your tractor is only the rear diff.

/ Going in reverse?
I'll give it shot the next time. I hope it won't be as muddy. I've got the one side sloped down nicely. I just need to cross to do the other side.

/ Going in reverse?
I'm a little spooked about getting stuck way down in there. The only thing that could help me is the old Ford 8N that I have. I do have an electric winch on it that could help. The problem is that there are no more trees, left after the tornado, that would make a good anchor attaching post. Everything is just small stuff. I'm determined to get down in there as it is the best hunting place on the place. This small creek flows down to a bigger creek that comes from my 2.5 acre lake and they become one. That is the almighty spot for the bigger bucks. Season starts late Nov. so I have a bit. I can't get there from behind the pond area ( with the tractor) because the hills are very steep down to there. If I can cross the small creek, I can go down along side the creek on the far side. It has a fairly wide corridor but it is filled with the biggest jumbled mess of large trees all twisted up together. Dang EF4 does a massive amount of damage in just a few seconds. All my poor tree stands were just destroyed. I've crawled through that mess several times and it take awhile just to get 100 yards on knees or crawling or climbing and then have to turn around and do the same to get back out of that mess. The whole place was like that but I've cleaned up enough trails for use...only took 5 years...lol. I can use the FEL to push some stuff aside after cutting it through with the chainsaw. I am getting too dang old (60) to be working this hard...lol I just don't want to get stuck down there...big mess would get a lot bigger and a lot messier. Probably need a helicopter extraction...Taken not long after it happened.

And that is one of the easier place to get through...lol. The biggest problem is that during the five years, so much stickers/scrubs/junk has grown up where there use to be large trees that shaded the areas and kept them brush free. Now it's a mess and going in there is like asking to get bit by the copperheads/rattlesnakes/water moccasins. They have taken over down there. I need a couple of mongoose. :laughing: Those stickers are of the devil down there too. Big and nasty. I think I'll get me a pair of those snake chaps that just slide on and easy to take off.

The creek in down the hill in this bottom. I've clear this mess all the way to the creek...but more awaits me.

It would take about an hour to get 100-200 yards in this mess for an old man.

Those pics were from 5 years ago and where I did not get cleaned up over the time, has grown up in a bigger mess.

/ Going in reverse? #6  
Maybe prepping ahead of time for WHEN you get stuck would help. Take your post hole auger and set a couple of good size tree trunks or post as a place to tie off the the winch equipped tractor. Try to locate them in such a manner that no matter which direction you heading or exactly where your at that one of them will work. A temporary trench or ditch to set the 2nd tractors tires into. Or some similar such idea.

Hope this next idea is not taken wrong but seat belts and roll bars are great ideas when working in unstable locations :)

/ Going in reverse?
"Hope this next idea is not taken wrong but seat belts and roll bars are great ideas when working in unstable locations" Heck yeah! I always have the bar up and the seat belt on when I am fooling around down in there.

/ Going in reverse?
easy clean up with a crawler loader tractor ... you will be able to do a Lot in a short time, And it will save you damaging smaller equipment.

This is Alabama, we have to do things the hard way...lol You got a crawler I can borrow? What is strange is that I could not get anyone to come and load/chip this stuff for pulpwood. I asked two different companies and they both looked and said it is just too twisted and messy to fool with. I do have enough firewood now to last until the kingdom come...lol

/ Going in reverse? #10  
gwstang, using diff lock in reverse definately makes a difference, -like getting stuck or getting out difference. Been there , learned from that.
I am not surprised no one wanted the timber, plenty of spring loaded trees to hurt or kill some-one in that mess.