Going to look at a skid steer. What to look for?

/ Going to look at a skid steer. What to look for? #1  

Woody65

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300 HST 4wd
Hey guys. I am looking to add to my collection of toys, I mean needed equipment. I need a machine that can lift heavy logs, do some digging and general cleanup around the property. It will spend its life on turf. I have a JD 4300 with an FEL and a Bobcat mini 331.
I am looking at a Takeuchi TL150 with 3400 hrs on it. It is a 97hp tracked machine weighing about 11k. My research reveals they are solid machines and very robust. I know the usual stuff to look for like hydro leaks, welds in the loader arms, and general maintenance issues. But you guys with skid steers, can you point me in the direction of some of the more nuanced things to look for that could be a problem.
Thanks

/ Going to look at a skid steer. What to look for?
Some phots

IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG

/ Going to look at a skid steer. What to look for? #3  
I would want to know what it was used for? One owner? Service history? One Servicing dealer?

Also, are you Ok with simple Radial Lift? I could be wrong, but I would have thought for large logs, a straight up lift might have been better.

/ Going to look at a skid steer. What to look for? #4  
the brand!

I would want to know what it was used for? One owner? Service history? One Servicing dealer?

Also, are you Ok with simple Radial Lift? I could be wrong, but I would have thought for large logs, a straight up lift might have been better.

Thanks for the response.
I was going to ask those questions when I get to see the machine on Saturday.
Regarding the radial lift. I don’t need to lift the logs high, just enough to get them onto my sawmill. So, I don’t think it should matter too much. I could be wrong.

the brand!

I have done quite a bit of research and found mostly good things about the reliability and power of Takeuchi. A lot of owners who have had many of the more popular brands gave the Tak high marks and bought them. Parts availability is good. They have a dealership near me. Same machine re branded in a Gehl.
Do you know something I haven’t uncovered.

/ Going to look at a skid steer. What to look for? #7  
Higher hours wouldn't scare me nearly as much on a one owner machine.

I have only heard good things about those machines. When something is solid in design and built for that good old Japanese practicality, that says it all, if you ask me.
No computers just for the sake of having a computer, and at the same time thus holding a lot of control (and revenue) over the future repair.

/ Going to look at a skid steer. What to look for? #8  
That machine is a horse . Fuel tank is not big enough . 6 hrs at WOT .The overhead door is nice but can be a pita . With a tooth bucket they can GRD . kEVIN .

/ Going to look at a skid steer. What to look for? #9  
Stay away from anything that has a bunch of computer junk in them IF at all possible! I know it is getting hard to do but that stuff in in anything is VERY problematic and you cannot fix it yourself! A contractor friend of mine here had a TEC. for a while, then went to CAT!

/ Going to look at a skid steer. What to look for? #10  
Here's something to think about assuming that's open rops. Ive noticed, open rops in a skid steer or ctl is terrible when it's dusty, way worse than any other open rops equipment I've ever owned or operated. My theory is the back window traps the dirt and dust instead of allowing it to flow through a ctl. My .02.