Going to Tazewell tomorrow to buy.....

/ Going to Tazewell tomorrow to buy.....
Don’t worry! The BX and its little 18hp will be residing across the state at my leas than 1 acre property. I have a John Deere 3025 that stays up at the mountain property. The 2430 should have a good bit more loader capacity than the 3025 and hopefully be a bit more stable especially on the uneven parts of the property. Had a bit of a scare with the Deere up there a couple weeks back.

Haven’t really considered the 1460 as that’ll be getting above the decreased capacity of my soon to be new towing setup. Good idea though and ll at least try to get my butt on one of those as well to weigh pros/cons

/ Going to Tazewell tomorrow to buy..... #12  
Don’t worry! The BX and its little 18hp will be residing across the state at my leas than 1 acre property. I have a John Deere 3025 that stays up at the mountain property. The 2430 should have a good bit more loader capacity than the 3025 and hopefully be a bit more stable especially on the uneven parts of the property. Had a bit of a scare with the Deere up there a couple weeks back.

Haven’t really considered the 1460 as that’ll be getting above the decreased capacity of my soon to be new towing setup. Good idea though and ll at least try to get my butt on one of those as well to weigh pros/cons

If your land is that hilly your not going to feel stable with the 2430. It’s really a flat land machine. Unless you need the extra loader height, consider the 1430.

/ Going to Tazewell tomorrow to buy..... #13  
I don’t have to deal with super steep hills around my area, but I did try mowing my cousin’s yard that is super steep. Her yard has to be close to 30°, and my 1430 literally could not drive up it while mowing. So, the PT 1430 is not a machine made for steep hills. She takes her Mahindra right up over, no problem, not the 1430 though.

/ Going to Tazewell tomorrow to buy..... #14  
I don’t have to deal with super steep hills around my area, but I did try mowing my cousin’s yard that is super steep. Her yard has to be close to 30°, and my 1430 literally could not drive up it while mowing. So, the PT 1430 is not a machine made for steep hills. She takes her Mahindra right up over, no problem, not the 1430 though.

My butt doesn’t like 30deg on any tractor. Lol. The point I was making is the 1430 is more stable on hills than the 2430. I have both.

/ Going to Tazewell tomorrow to buy..... #15  
I do not think you can compare a PT to a CUT of equivalent HP and expect that they will handle the same. I routinely do 20° or more with my tractor but it struggles if i am pulling a large wagon loaded with wood. The midsized CUTS I have owned (45 HP vs my 60 HP) would not have had a problem doing that except that the trails are almost always too soft for them to go on. And the CUTs could not handle going sideways on these hills while lifting loads.

I plow a neighbor's driveway that is about 800' long and I am guessing 15°. The first pass is uphill and the tractor handles it with a V-plow fine. There is no way I would be box blading uphill. If I had to, I would carry buckets of gravel from the bottom to the top and then box blade on the way down. Now maybe that driveway is much steeper than 15° - I have never bothered to check my tilt gauge when on it - and so maybe my perception of what I can do is wrong. But on that driveway, if I felt I had to box blade uphill. I would rather a 45 HP CUT than a 60 HP 1850. I suspect the 1460 is better than my 1850 due to the different tires, weight, etc.

Ken

/ Going to Tazewell tomorrow to buy..... #16  
Just the physics of the problem make box blading downhill, carrying loose gravel up in a FEL the way to go in my opinion. I think nothing short of a crawler is going to do much going uphill, and even then I would want work downhill and carry loose material up.

For heavy ground engaging work, it isn't a PT. Dozer, yes, tractor with a crawler range, yes. Even my 1445 has a hard time pushing a 6' wide brush hog up a 30 degree hill, but it is for lack of traction as much as lack of power. I.e., I can do it, just.

All the best,

Peter

/ Going to Tazewell tomorrow to buy..... #17  
My butt doesn’t like 30deg on any tractor. Lol. The point I was making is the 1430 is more stable on hills than the 2430. I have both.
I wasn’t disagreeing with your earlier post or anything. It was a little disappointing the day I learned that the hills a John Deere 318, Mahindra 21 or 23hp, and a Steiner 430 can drive up over, my 1430 won’t. I was definitely surprised.

/ Going to Tazewell tomorrow to buy..... #18  
I wasn’t disagreeing with your earlier post or anything. It was a little disappointing the day I learned that the hills a John Deere 318, Mahindra 21 or 23hp, and a Steiner 430 can drive up over, my 1430 won’t. I was definitely surprised.
Why won't your 1430 drive up/over like the other tractors? Do the wheels spin or motors stall?

/ Going to Tazewell tomorrow to buy..... #19  
The wheel motors will stop, then intermittently turn it little bit, then stop. That’s the best way I can explain it. It just seems like the pump for the wheel motors is exhausted, then there will be a short outburst of power to the wheels, then stop again. It’s that sort of cycle.

The reason her yard is so steep is because the excavator done things he shouldn’t have when her home was being built. Although, if it was me I would not mow that part of the yard. Her John Deere 322 (sorry about the mixup with the 318) stopped running when she was going up over the yard years ago, and then she said her brakes quit working and the tractor went down the hill backwards. She wrecked and busted herself up pretty good, and the tractor.

Last edited:
   / Going to Tazewell tomorrow to buy..... #20  
The wheel motors will stop, then intermittently turn it little bit, then stop. That’s the best way I can explain it. It just seems like the pump for the wheel motors is exhausted, then there will be a short outburst of power to the wheels, then stop again. It’s that sort of cycle.

The reason her yard is so steep is because the excavator done things he shouldn’t have when her home was being built. Although, if it was me I would not mow that part of the yard. Her John Deere 322 (sorry about the mixup with the 318) stopped running when she was going up over the yard years ago, and then she said her brakes quit working and the tractor went down the hill backwards. She wrecked and busted herself up pretty good, and the tractor.

Don’t forget, if you blow a hose on the PT while on that hill you’ll take that same ride. Ask me how I know.