Golf Carts

/ Golf Carts #1  

scootr

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200 HST, 773 Bobcat, Cat forklift
Anybody use a golf cart to run around their property.
These little electric or gas carts are popular for transportation, hunting, or checking stock.
The use of lithium battery packs has really made this a viable transportation solution.
I can help with cart problems.

/ Golf Carts #2  
Good info, we bought an electric one from a golf course auction this summer and I'd like to clean up the batteries and cables - I'll keep this thread bookmarked.

/ Golf Carts
Id be happy to help if I can. What make and model or year did you get?
My wife's aunt introduced us to ranch golf carts years ago. They are handy as heck for running over here or there. Especially when fixing those water or fence projects when you need to make 3 trips back to the shop.

Attachments

• IMG_2473.JPG
    IMG_2473.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 87
   / Golf Carts #4  
Been using a (electric) cart for 20 plus years to get around the property, out to the mail box and as a support vehicle for tractor work...

/ Golf Carts #5  
I'm currently shopping for one too. We had an older one we picked up from a guy that refurbished them years ago. The batteries eventually got tired. "Upgraded" to a cheap sxs and after 1000 miles putzing around the ranch, it's blowing smoke and needs a motor rebuild. Want to go back to batteries because lower maintenance and it's easier for Mom to just plug it in once in a while than deal with gas cans. Also much quieter.

Things I'm learning...
Stick to the big 3 brands, parts and upgrades are readily available for Club Car, EZ-GO and Yamaha, even 20+ year old carts.
36 vs 48 volt. Generally 48 volt is better, but a 36v with six 6 volt batteries may be a better choice than a 48v with four 12v batteries. Simply more mass of battery will give you more runtime and battery life span of 6v should be better too.
Carts older than early 90's tended to use resistor coil speed controls. They are really inefficient as they dump power to resistors for anything less than full throttle. So even if you're just putting along, you're still using a lot of battery power. They can also generate a lot of heat which can be a fire hazard in the weeds.

Seems like $3500-4000 I'm seeing carts in good condition that claim to have fairly fresh batteries. Just want to find one that isn't a road trip to go get.

/ Golf Carts #6  
We use our electric cart as a garden runabout, pull a little dump cart behind for transporting the garden harvest to the cold room,
and just about any chore on the acreage. Charge it overnight once a month or so.

/ Golf Carts
I'm currently shopping for one too. We had an older one we picked up from a guy that refurbished them years ago. The batteries eventually got tired. "Upgraded" to a cheap sxs and after 1000 miles putzing around the ranch, it's blowing smoke and needs a motor rebuild. Want to go back to batteries because lower maintenance and it's easier for Mom to just plug it in once in a while than deal with gas cans. Also much quieter.

Things I'm learning...
Stick to the big 3 brands, parts and upgrades are readily available for Club Car, EZ-GO and Yamaha, even 20+ year old carts.
36 vs 48 volt. Generally 48 volt is better, but a 36v with six 6 volt batteries may be a better choice than a 48v with four 12v batteries. Simply more mass of battery will give you more runtime and battery life span of 6v should be better too.
Carts older than early 90's tended to use resistor coil speed controls. They are really inefficient as they dump power to resistors for anything less than full throttle. So even if you're just putting along, you're still using a lot of battery power. They can also generate a lot of heat which can be a fire hazard in the weeds.

Seems like $3500-4000 I'm seeing carts in good condition that claim to have fairly fresh batteries. Just want to find one that isn't a road trip to go get.
You Sir know more than 90% of the people owning a cart. (y)
You are absolutely right about sticking with the big 3. These three have been producing carts for 30+ years. CC has an aluminum frame. That's good if you live in the rust belt. Personally I like Ezgo the best. Best ride, best throttle mechanism, easiest to work on. Currently we are running a couple of Ezgos. I just put a single lithium battery in one today. That makes 2 converted to a single lithium battery with on board charger.
Why you ask?
1st = no watering the batteries. I'm always too busy or forget to keep up with this like I should.
2nd = since the battery is sealed there is no mess and no corroded connections to keep after.
3rd = the warranty is 8-10 years Of course the cost is double+ but it sounds like we will get our money's worth of use from them.
4th = a little higher voltage like 51 or 56 volts versus 48 so that means more power and speed. Nothing crazy but I do like things zippy.
5th = 300 pounds. That's how much lead weight the cart lost = about 1/3 of the total cart weight
6th = longer runtime than wet cell batteries and quicker charging.

Here is a pic of the install today... and my helper Keegan

Attachments

• IMG_2800.JPG
    IMG_2800.JPG
    330.6 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2797.JPG
    IMG_2797.JPG
    256.7 KB · Views: 116
   / Golf Carts #8  
I've had a 2002 EZGo since about 2008, and we have gotten a lot of use out of it. Trash / recycling runs, mail, running around the neighborhood, maintenance around the property, etc...
I'm on my second set of batteries (bought with marginal and mismatched batteries), and expect to replace them again in a year or 2. It's pretty much stock except for an onboard QuiQ charger and OEM style lighting.

/ Golf Carts
Early carts were resistor coil speed control. This was 1930's technology from the then new elevator industry.
This didn't change until Ezgo and CC introduced the solid state speed control about 1990-91. These carts lost the coils that burned off amperage at low speed and the whole cart became more efficient and safer. Fewer cart and grass fires.
I could go on .. but it's lunch time

/ Golf Carts #10  
We have an EZ-GO gas cart. Used it for projects around here for about six or seven years and decided to pretty it up a bit for the grandkids. Amazing how much money you can get into these things.
PXL_20220407_203218733.jpg