Golf Carts

/ Golf Carts #11  
FWIW...There is a lot of misinformation out there about lead/acid deep cycle batteries...
For anyone owning or caring for an electric (l/a bats) cart I highly recommend reading up on the care and process for breaking in a new set of batteries...I will cite another forum below without a hyperlink...it is the go to site for all cart owners...

a few facts about cart batteries...
They should never be allowed to get below a 50% charge..
They will lose about 1% charge per day just sitting...
Opportunity charging is a good thing...

The best single tool a cart owner can have is a good volt/multi meter...
Installing a "state of charge" indicator is a good thing...most newer carts have them by the OEM...

For 12 volt service (lights, radio etc., etc.) it is best to install a pack voltage reducer rather than coming off say 2 six volt batteries...

The site I referred to above is 'buggies gone wild dot com '

/ Golf Carts
Love the flag cart. My friend had one years ago- it was a gasser too.
brocks_cart.jpg

Last edited:
   / Golf Carts
Even the manufacturers used to pull 12v off two 6v batteries. This is bad. If used a lot it will draw 2 batteries down lower than the other 4. In charging the same amount of amperage goes into each battery. So the result is the initial imbalance gets more pronounced. Eventually you have 2 getting under charged and 4 getting over charged and none of them are happy... but the manufacturer saved a couple of bucks.

If I can help let me know.

Last edited:
   / Golf Carts #14  
Id be happy to help if I can. What make and model or year did you get?
My wife's aunt introduced us to ranch golf carts years ago. They are handy as heck for running over here or there. Especially when fixing those water or fence projects when you need to make 3 trips back to the shop.
2012 Yamaha Drive. I like the idea of upgrading to Lithium battery.

Attachments

• B5F6265E-8955-4C8C-B104-A4342F9D2CE9.jpeg
    B5F6265E-8955-4C8C-B104-A4342F9D2CE9.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 78
   / Golf Carts #15  
Scootr, I have seen 48 volt lithium batteries but no 51 volt ones. Where do you get those batteries?
Second, do you have to replace your stock charger with a $500 lithium charger?
I have 2 Club Cars and an EZgo and have had carts for farm use for over 30 years and would like to replace my batteries in one the next time they need it to try the lithium ones out.

/ Golf Carts #16  
My only golf cart was the Oakland A’s theme cart with the cab an oversized A’s ball cap.

It was too good to use around the ranch so I sold it to a collector.

Would have been a nice addition to the collection but at age 22 money very tight trying to buy my home…

/ Golf Carts
Scootr, I have seen 48 volt lithium batteries but no 51 volt ones. Where do you get those batteries?
Second, do you have to replace your stock charger with a $500 lithium charger?
I have 2 Club Cars and an EZgo and have had carts for farm use for over 30 years and would like to replace my batteries in one the next time they need it to try the lithium ones out.
48 is nominal voltage. That means the actual voltage is higher.a fully charged conventional 48v battery pack will be 50.9 volts. When it drops to 48v at rest it's time to recharge.
The cells in a lithium battery hold a little more voltage. So when talking about a single 48v battery it is usually 51 volts or 54v fully charged. You be surprised how much extra power and speed a few volts will give ya. Plus the loss of 300 pounds adds up to something you can feel in the seat of your pants. Charging lithium is not hard the charger just needs to have the proper algorithm. Some conventional chargers like the Lester Summit II can charger wet cell or Lithium. Most conventional chargers cannot. We opt for a battery combo that comes with a charger and a DC reducer. That way you know everything is good to work together. I put a voltmeter in the dash so I can monitor all of our carts.
We have a 71 amp hour battery from Eco Battery in one cart and a 90amp hour battery from Uno battery in the other.
both of these packs are the smallest offered by these companies. Yet both batteries yield more run time than the conventional batteries.
The Manufacturers say 30-40 mile range on these 2 between charges. Bigger batteries yield more run time but they cost more and these are already expensive at about $2500 for a combo kit.

Attachments

• IMG_2344-A.jpg
    IMG_2344-A.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2800.JPG
    IMG_2800.JPG
    330.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
   / Golf Carts #18  
Hi Scootr. We have 2 36V EzGoes. Are there lithiums applicable for the 36V cart? Is there a charge controller that would allow use of the original EzGo charger?
Thanks!
Larry

/ Golf Carts
Yes, Lithium battery packs are available in 36v but you have to have a charger that is for lithium. The charging is critical. Not just for the battery life but for safety as well.
Get a battery /charger combo. That way you know the charger you have is made for the battery you have.

/ Golf Carts #20  
Thanks Gentlemen.
Reading these post make me want one (for my wife of course). Her birthday is a great opportunity.
Well probably less expensive then then the diesel side by side I was working up to. But I will need the fancy larger chrome wheels, lift kit, sun canopy, with the US Flag graphics. I think there is enough room next to her tractor and ZTR Mower.

Now the hard part - what model and year EzGo Gasoline or electric with lithium battery and charger combination.