Good Samaritans

/ Good Samaritans #1  

3 Horse Ranch

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH B50H Cab, Ford 1715, Poulan Pro 46
September 14th was a day I will long remember and not in a good way for what initially happened, but with good memories of how it all turned out in the end. We went to McDonald's for breakfast, came back to the old house and hooked up to the horse trailer. Backed down to the barn and proceeded to load the horses. While it wasn't without a few problems, they loaded much better than I thought they would.
At about 11:30 we headed east on Hwy 20 through North Cascades Park and Washington Pass taking it easy to keep the horses calm. All was going well until we got up past Ross Lake, a car passed and motioned for me to pull over. When I did he said "Your wheel came off, your right rear wheel came off, about hit me, then crossed the road and about hit an oncoming car." I went back, and sure enough. He put his 4 ways on and followed me until I got to a safe place to pull over. He then offered to take me back to get the wheel which was a couple of miles back. When we got to the wheel I was dumbstruck. The axle had snapped off just outside of the backing plate. It had plenty of grease, but had just snapped.
There was no limping on, there we sat for about 3 hours, no cell service, no way of calling for help. I couldn't disconnect and leave the horses alone, and I couldn't leave my blind brother with them. The first good Samaritan, Don Grace, had offered to call a tow when he got to Winthrop, but none ever showed. I later talked to him and he tried but no tow company had a spare horse trailer and nobody would deal with a trailer with animals inside, so none came. Don did call the State Patrol who got hold of the U.S. Park Service. At about 3:30 U.S. Park Ranger Steven Sigala, the second good Samaritan, stopped behind us and after finding out the problem worked for hours, driving down to Newhalem, about 15 winding and hilly miles to where he had cell service to make arrangements and back to us to keep us informed, at least three round trips. He said no matter what it took he would get us off the pass. On his last visit he informed us that someone volunteered to drive up from Concrete, WA. about 40 miles down the valley.
Just before dark Mr. Wood, our third good Samaritan, showed up with a horse trailer and with much more difficulty we loaded the horses and hauled them back to where we started. He told us to meet him in Lyman and lead him to the house as it was completely dark. I offered to pay for his fuel at he Lyman fuels but Mr. Wood refused and said he just wanted to get home.
The trailer has been picked up now and is in Mount Vernon to get 2 new axles, in a few weeks time we will have a usable trailer, meanwhile a horse hauler was hired to do the job and the horses are getting used to their new home.
All I can say is thank God no one or no other vehicles were involved, thank God it all worked out in the end, and thank God for and God bless those three good Samaritans., Don Grace, Park Ranger Steven Sigala, and Mr. Wood of Concrete, WA

That's my good Samaritan story of recent past, Just wondering if others have similar stories that might renew faith in our fellow man.

Last edited:
   / Good Samaritans #2  
When we got to the wheel I was dumbstruck. The axle had snapped off just outside of the backing plate. It had plenty of grease, but had just snapped.
I remember an episode of one of those police accident investigation/reconstruction shows many years back. This one was in Canada and a truck had lost a wheel, but the results were much more unfortunate. After the cause was determined, the investigator stated it was the closest thing he had ever seen to a true accident where no one could be blamed. It was basically the same thing, the axle had broken internally, metal fatigue. He said there was no routine inspection or maintenance that could have found it, only some sort of disassembly and x-ray.

/ Good Samaritans #3  
September 14th was a day I will long remember and not in a good way. Went to McDonald's for breakfast, came back to the old house and hooked up to the horse trailer. Backed down to the barn and proceeded to load the horses. While it wasn't without a few problems, they loaded much better than I thought they would.
At about 11:30 we headed east on Hwy 20 taking it easy to keep the horses calm. All was going well until we got up past Ross Lake, a car passed and motioned for me to pull over. When I did he said "Your wheel came off, your right rear wheel came off, about hit me, then crossed the road and about hit an oncoming car." I went back, and sure enough. He put his 4 ways on and followed me until I got to a safe place to pull over. He then offered to take me back to get the wheel which was a couple of miles back. When we got to the wheel I was dumbstruck. The axle had snapped off just outside of the backing plate. It had plenty of grease, but had just snapped.
There was no limping on, there we sat for about 3 hours, no cell service, no way of calling for help. I couldn't disconnect and leave the horses alone, and I couldn't leave my blind brother with them. The first good Samaritan, Don Grace, had offered to call a tow when he got to Winthrop, but none ever showed. I later talked to him and he tried but no tow company had a spare horse trailer and nobody would deal with a trailer with animals inside, so none came. Don did call the State Patrol who got hold of the U.S. Park Service. At about 3:30 U.S. Park Ranger Steven Sigala, the second good Samaritan, stopped behind us and after finding out the problem worked for hours, driving down to Newhalem, about 15 winding and hilly miles to where he had cell service to make arrangements and back to us to keep us informed, at least three round trips. He said no matter what it took he would get us off the pass. On his last visit he informed us that someone volunteered to drive up from Concrete, WA. about 40 miles down the valley.
Just before dark Mr. Wood, our third good Samaritan, showed up with a horse trailer and with much more difficulty we loaded the horses and hauled them back to where we started. He told us to meet him in Lyman and lead him to the house as it was completely dark. I offered to pay for his fuel at he Lyman fuels but Mr. Wood refused and said he just wanted to get home.
The trailer has been picked up now and is in Mount Vernon to get 2 new axles, in a few weeks time we will have a usable trailer, meanwhile a horse hauler was hired to do the job.
All I can say is thank God no one or no other vehicles were involved, thank God it all worked out in the end, and thank God for and God bless those three good Samaritans., Don Grace, Park Ranger Steven Sigala, and Mr. Wood of Concrete, WA

That's my good Samaritan story of recent past, Just wondering if others have similar stories that might renew faith in our fellow man.

Thanks for posting. Positive outcomes from good samaritans is always good to hear.

/ Good Samaritans
He said there was no routine inspection or maintenance that could have found it, only some sort of disassembly and x-ray.
Exactly what I thought. Even if it had been disassembled in a normal maintenance procedure you could not have detected it. It was right at the backing plate.

/ Good Samaritans #5  
September 14th was a day I will long remember and not in a good way. Went to McDonald's for breakfast, came back to the old house and hooked up to the horse trailer. Backed down to the barn and proceeded to load the horses. While it wasn't without a few problems, they loaded much better than I thought they would.
At about 11:30 we headed east on Hwy 20 taking it easy to keep the horses calm. All was going well until we got up past Ross Lake, a car passed and motioned for me to pull over. When I did he said "Your wheel came off, your right rear wheel came off, about hit me, then crossed the road and about hit an oncoming car." I went back, and sure enough. He put his 4 ways on and followed me until I got to a safe place to pull over. He then offered to take me back to get the wheel which was a couple of miles back. When we got to the wheel I was dumbstruck. The axle had snapped off just outside of the backing plate. It had plenty of grease, but had just snapped.
The trailer has been picked up now and is in Mount Vernon to get 2 new axles, in a few weeks time we will have a usable trailer, meanwhile a horse hauler was hired to do the job.

Wow! Thank God indeed!

/ Good Samaritans #8  
Good post god knows there are still decent caring folks around.Glad it all worked out for you.(y)

/ Good Samaritans #9  
I've had wheels break off trailers twice.
The first one was a trailer in front of me and I managed to get the van I was driving (at 60 mph in heavy traffic) positioned so I essentially "headed" it like a soccer ball off the frame of the windshield. Big dent, no crack.
The second off a Uhaul trailer I rented.
Both were scary as all get out.

But to have it happen with virtually no support in the boonies and a live load etc.!

Darn man! Are you buying lottery tickets?