Good training video on torque

/ Good training video on torque #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
Five Reasons Why Diesel Makes More Torque than Gas

interesting basic training video on how torque is made.
Basic idea that torque equals force times distance. The distance part explains a lot about engine design.

One only has to look at Ford's experience with the Ecoboost gas engines to know that turbocharging
has almost become a must for gas engines now, like it became for diesel.
Or...like FCA has done with hybridizing their new Ram engines, add a battery for on demand power.
Likely best solution is to add both, but sure getting a complex possibly high maintenance engine by then.

I've owned a Golf diesel and a Cummins dually. Now I only have three diesel tractors and two diesel mowers, no vehicles.
Pretty sure our future is electric, with all that instant torque available.

When the Yanmar 3600 rpm diesels came out in the marine market, everyone (Cummins followers, etc) thought they would be
nickle rockets, blowing up at 1000 hours. Nope. Some of the best long life engines out there. More maintenance needed though...
When Ford's ecoboost sixes came out, opinion was the same, going to blow. Well they haven't either...

Is there a maximum piston speed at rated power that would be smart not to exceed assuming one wanted long life?
Though few of us run at rated power most of the time. We want the torque way down low, to get the weight moving, which is why
electric power is so tantalizing. Tesla's silly truck accelerates so fast you'd wreck your load for sure...just stupid to think a truck has to accelerate that fast,
or should. Anyone who has ever tied down a load knows avoiding G forces is a really good idea.
I call it limo mode, like you were driving a limo for an old lady in the back.

Look at most of your standard, currently bottom of the line usually V6's naturally aspirated in trucks and cars and they are always weak on torque.
Running empty, fine. With a load, not much fun and you sure wind up in the right lane.

Driving my Golf diesel was remarkably fun. One thing to be in a big truck but another to be in a small good handling car that really scoots
when you floor it. Too bad VW had to wreck that market. And now they say they are optimistic on diesels, that came out a few days' ago.

For torque, you seem to pretty much need turbos or electric today.
Or like those ancient super long throw stationary engines that are the sizes of small houses, a really long stroke.

so what torques you? ;)

/ Good training video on torque #2  
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

/ Good training video on torque #3  
Interesting, really lays it out in an easy to understand fashion. I wanted a diesel for pulling our fifth wheel camper and was amazed at the difference on the first trip

/ Good training video on torque #4  
Except in the case of gassers, I have no desire to go turbo on them until they go back to inline. The complexity is far less and reliability is higher. I won't buy any turbocharged V motor. Supercharged, yes.

/ Good training video on torque #5  
Well done. I showed it to my 24v '98 3/4 ton and it nodded yes and showed its Juice with Tude. DSC_0946.JPG

/ Good training video on torque #6  
Some of his conclusions in the video are either suspect, leave information out or don't tell the whole story.
Quicker combustion is one of them. Diesels inject during the power stroke. The more fuel you add the later some of it arrives in the power stroke. Later combustion, more smoke more wasted fuel, at higher power levels. He seems to be comparing flame front propagation vs all fuel igniting at the same instant. Not a valid comparison in terms of making his point. Not sure what he means about having more torque because of extra unburned air in diesels. He talks about torque being higher in long stroke engines but makes no mention of a larger bore/piston pushing harder on a rod in a short stroke engine. Long stroke engines have to develop their power at lower RPM. They can't rev as high because of heavy rods and high piston speeds. And short stroke engines have much more radical rod angles that change the time and angle of force on the crank.

Carbureted or port injected gas engines cannot be boosted very high because they will pre-ignite. This is partly why the Eco-boost performs so well, it has direct injection. And it is very torquey.

Probably the best points in the video related to torque and eficiency were that diesel fuel has more energy in it, diesels run with an unrestricted intake, they run higher compression and they can be boosted to higher levels because they can't pre-ignite.

/ Good training video on torque #7  
Never understood why HP numbers are all the rage when it is torque that gets the work done. I just hate the high revving high HP engines ...more rpms just makes everything more bat nut crazy, which is fine on the race track but for the road it'll get one wrapped nicely around a hydro pole.
And having another stupid brain overriding the brain holding the wheel just adds to the mess.
I love the Pontiac big block 350 vs the chev small block 350...purely because of the torque
Dodge Cummins diesel torque bliss
Even the dodge 360 gasser does well for low end torque
Not sure if I will ever be a fan of electric ....just because of the missing elements that tickle the senses...and tickling the senses is half of the whole experience really
Do want to try a Chev 383 high torque motor...450ftlbs

/ Good training video on torque #8  
Interesting video, and discussion. I used to think Diesel trumped gas, and Gas V8 was better than 6, which was better than 4. Nothing else needed to be considered. I've come around now, accepting the crap ton of turbo gassers in 6's and even tiny 4's. Some of those little 4's with turbo blow away the old 8's in most categories, except sound. Now I'm coming around on the sound of engines, not needing that rumble of an 8 to satisfy. I agree that electric power is the future of top end torque. When I first drove a 3.5 ecoboost I described it as an electric golf cart with instant silent power and I wasn't sure if I'd like that quiet power. I don't have one in my truck (went the 8 route) but I have a little EB in an Escape and I have learned to love the quiet power. I can see the power of electric coming to more trucks soon, and I can see them swaying more people like me. Instant torque, onboard generators, sign me up. I never would have thought I'd be open to an electric truck until recently.

/ Good training video on torque #9  
Torque is the answer that's why I enjoy my little ecodiesel;
It only makes 240HP at 3600 rpm but it makes 420 ft. lbs. of torque at 2000 rpm,
it pulls of the line with no fuss no muss, it's not screaming rpm it just drives out