Goodbye Spilled Acid, Hello AGM Battery For The ATV,,

/ Goodbye Spilled Acid, Hello AGM Battery For The ATV,, #1  

CADplans

Elite Member
Tractor
584 IH 4WD
I went looking for a new battery for my Polaris Trail Blazer 250,,
all the while, cringing at the thought of having to pour the acid into the uncharged battery. :(

I had never purchased a battery by mail before, but, I figured , what the heck, check Amazon,,

Sure enough, Amazon had them, and among the lowest cost batteries, was an AGM battery,
The battery comes with the acid in it, and, it is spill-proof,,,:cool2:

Luckily, it is spill-proof, they put the battery in the shipping box up side down,,,

I popped the battery out of the box, into the ATV, and it started right up,,,

Best of all, the battery came with a free trickle charger,,, all for $45 delivered!!

Amazon.com: YB14A-A2 Battery with .5 Amp Charger - Bundle of 2 items: Automotive

61WFgngeOhL._SL1000_.jpg

Are you gonna try an AGM battery?:thumbsup:
I wonder what else I can get a cheap battery for??:confused:

/ Goodbye Spilled Acid, Hello AGM Battery For The ATV,, #2  
Great find. :thumbsup:

/ Goodbye Spilled Acid, Hello AGM Battery For The ATV,, #3  
make sure your charging voltage don't go above 13.8 volts, or the battery won't last long. but use the trickle charger once in a while so the battery gets a full charge at 14.4 volts. the charger will bring the voltage up to 14.4 volts, then immediately drop down to 13.8 volts, which has to be done to prevent battery damage, AGM and wet cells have a different charging method.. there are also Lithium batteries for this use that have built in regulators and protection from over and under voltage, and not too expensive, either.. they are superior.

/ Goodbye Spilled Acid, Hello AGM Battery For The ATV,, #4  
I will never voluntarily own an AGM battery.

In the automotive industry, AGM batteries have an extremely high failure rate compared to standard lead acid batteries.

One year around 2010, Chevrolet put AGM in all Corvettes. More then half would be dead trying to get them off the carrier.

The warranty claims were so high and customer satisfaction so low that service parts quit offering the AGM and we were informed that any car that had a battery related complaint was to have a standard lead acid battery installed.

At the independent shop I'm at now, 3 out of 5 AGM batteries we get from parts suppliers are dead on the shelf.

OP, I hope it works for you, but you did ask if anyone was going to try one.

/ Goodbye Spilled Acid, Hello AGM Battery For The ATV,, #5  
I will never voluntarily own an AGM battery.

In the automotive industry, AGM batteries have an extremely high failure rate compared to standard lead acid batteries.

One year around 2010, Chevrolet put AGM in all Corvettes. More then half would be dead trying to get them off the carrier.

The warranty claims were so high and customer satisfaction so low that service parts quit offering the AGM and we were informed that any car that had a battery related complaint was to have a standard lead acid battery installed.

At the independent shop I'm at now, 3 out of 5 AGM batteries we get from parts suppliers are dead on the shelf.

OP, I hope it works for you, but you did ask if anyone was going to try one.
the charging voltage was probably more than 13.8 volts, THAT will do it.. they last many years, some 5, but at least 3-4 in properly designed equipment, like a UPS for a computer..

/ Goodbye Spilled Acid, Hello AGM Battery For The ATV,, #6  
the charging voltage was probably more than 13.8 volts, THAT will do it.. they last many years, some 5, but at least 3-4 in properly designed equipment, like a UPS for a computer..
Dead on the shelf and dead on the carrier straight from the factory is not a charging issue.

If what you say is true, then these batteries are special purpose and therefore not adaptable to the current automobile, powersports, and tractor industries.

In my opinion they should not be sold as such.

/ Goodbye Spilled Acid, Hello AGM Battery For The ATV,, #7  
Dead on the shelf and dead on the carrier straight from the factory is not a charging issue.

If what you say is true, then these batteries are special purpose and therefore not adaptable to the current automobile, powersports, and tractor industries.

In my opinion they should not be sold as such.
they must be buying really cheap batteries if they are dead on the shelf and dead on the carrier.. a good battery is Panasonic made in Japan, or some more expensive brands made in the U.S.A. I'll agree that they should not be used for something that could overcharge them, like automobiles, powersports(unless the machine is designed for the AGM battery), and tractors.

/ Goodbye Spilled Acid, Hello AGM Battery For The ATV,, #8  
they must be buying really cheap batteries if they are dead on the shelf and dead on the carrier.. a good battery is Panasonic made in Japan, or some more expensive brands made in the U.S.A. I'll agree that they should not be used for something that could overcharge them, like automobiles, powersports(unless the machine is designed for the AGM battery), and tractors.
Well, the auto industry overall does go with the lowest bidder!

/ Goodbye Spilled Acid, Hello AGM Battery For The ATV,, #9  
Actually, most brands of AGM batteries recommend charging and float voltages a little higher than conventional flooded lead-acid batteries. Gel batteries need charging and float voltages slightly lower than flooded lead-acid. The ideal charging and float voltages also vary with temperature.

Charging voltages from one of my favorite charger manufacturers:
Battery ChargingTemp Comp.png

/ Goodbye Spilled Acid, Hello AGM Battery For The ATV,, #10  
Actually, most brands of AGM batteries recommend charging and float voltages a little higher than conventional flooded lead-acid batteries. Gel batteries need charging and float voltages slightly lower than flooded lead-acid. The ideal charging and float voltages also vary with temperature.

Charging voltages from one of my favorite charger manufacturers:
View attachment 563836
charging(intermittent, short term) Yes, but NOT float voltages, look at an AGM battery for the recommendations.. 13.8 Volts float voltage, which means long term charging, like an automobile tractor etc. would charge the battery at for a long term.. Normal charging voltage for a car is about 13.9v to 14.4v