Google Earth

/ Google Earth #21  
What's a good Android app to map trails?

I use US Topo Maps app on my phone. They have a free version and a pay version. You can change overlays to sat view, topo maps and many other options. When I upgrade the phone some day I will probably splurge on the pay version.

/ Google Earth #22  
I use US Topo Maps app on my phone. They have a free version and a pay version. You can change overlays to sat view, topo maps and many other options. When I upgrade the phone some day I will probably splurge on the pay version.

Is US Topo Maps just a map viewer, or does it do other things as well, such as showing your current position on the mapp, allowing you to record trails as you walk them, add points of interest, and does it import and export data easily (for use in Google Earth or other applications)? I try to keep up with some of the better mapping apps out there, but have not looked at that one.

/ Google Earth #23  
Love me some Google Earth!!

My area (N. Georgia) has gotten 2 new updates over the last month or so on Google Earth, 2/2020 and 4/2020. The images are rather poor quality for Google Earth. As you zoom in the resolution is very poor. Basically so bad you can't really use it. Does anyone have any idea if these crappy images are temporary and they will clean them up? Does everybody have these updates? And are yours poor quality? Thanks!

/ Google Earth #24  
^^^ I just looked at a couple of areas east of Rossville and it's clear enough to make out cars in driveways and lawn furniture.

/ Google Earth #25  
^^^ I just looked at a couple of areas east of Rossville and it's clear enough to make out cars in driveways and lawn furniture.

If you zoom in and then compare the 2/2019 images to the 2/2020 and 4/2020 images you will see a drastic decrease in resolution. That is what I see anyway. EDIT: Upon poking around further. I have noticed lots of places don't even have the 2020 images yet. Maybe they will refine them. No idea how this works. But I would expect subsequent images to be of similar qualities. I will have to keep my eye on it.

I do love me some Google Earth though. Very powerful tool!

/ Google Earth #26  
Is US Topo Maps just a map viewer, or does it do other things as well, such as showing your current position on the mapp, allowing you to record trails as you walk them, add points of interest, and does it import and export data easily (for use in Google Earth or other applications)? I try to keep up with some of the better mapping apps out there, but have not looked at that one.

It shows current position if you want it to. It probably has some of the other features if not the Pro version does. I tend to use a dedicated GPS when exploring out west since I can't rely on cell towers in remote locations. I Use the US Topo for looking at what are scanned topo maps which can show you old features the newer digitized ones do not. Like old mines, trails etc.

For laptop I use Expertgps with a map subscription.

/ Google Earth #27  
I tend to use a dedicated GPS when exploring out west since I can't rely on cell towers in remote locations.

None of the apps I use on my cell phone require a cell phone signal to work - you can download a map for use offline, and it will just use the phone's GPS for location. (There are some features that you need a cell or WiFi signal for, such as syncing your data to a desktop computer.) I do have a dedicated GPS as well - it does lock on to satellites better in marginal areas. I tend to use the phone, since I always have it with me. It's also been handy when sharing data with neighbors and showing them how to use the app. Very few of them own a dedicated GPS.

/ Google Earth #28  
Google earth has a feature that lets you look back at historical photos of an area. On my Google Earth application, the icon to do this is in the top bar, and looks a bit like a clock. If you click on that and scroll back through time, you might find a time when the images were taken when the leaves were off the trees. That might allow you to see some of your BR parish house.

I know the historical feature does cover satellite photos. It may not cover the "street level" photos which show more detail (but haven't been a Google Earth feature for all that long).

The ability to use satellite photos from different years is really neat, something most people don't know about google earth. Caveat: I haven't used GE recently, don't know if the feature is still there. In my case I couild look at satellite photos dating to 1992 of my place.

/ Google Earth #29  
The ability to use satellite photos from different years is really neat, something most people don't know about google earth. Caveat: I haven't used GE recently, don't know if the feature is still there. In my case I couild look at satellite photos dating to 1992 of my place.

It's still there. I use it regularly

/ Google Earth #30  
Anybody know how often GE refreshes their aerial views? My new house has been in place a year now and GE for my address still shows the property from well before we ever even broke ground.

I wanna see my house on it!