Google frustration

/ Google frustration #1  

bunyip

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti DK 5810 HST
We need a carport to house two vehicles and double as a bbq area, here comes the dilemma, there is a major town near us called Sale so when we put in 'carports Sale' we get a national or state list of suppliers, we have tried to get around this by rearranging names and titles but to no avail, Sale simply means selling, I wonder if a sailmaker set up could they advertise Sale Sail Sale.
Looks like we are resorting to going for a drive.

/ Google frustration #2  
It can be hopeless looking for a business or item that uses a common name or phrase.

If you own a hammer-making shop, don't name it "Hammers." :)

Bruce

/ Google frustration #3  
You need to get a bit more creative and flexible. Why don't you just enter "Carports near Traralgon" It is close to Flynn and would probably list anything in Sale also. However for the heck of it I just asked google for "Carports near Colfax, Wa.", where I live, and only got a list of national suppliers and no one specific anywhere near me (or anywhere for that matter). Maybe you would be better off asking for "building contractors near Traralgon". But it is summer in Australia, might be a good time for a drive to see what you can find. :) (set sail for Sale)

Last edited:
   / Google frustration #4  
... And that's why I chose my screen name 'California' for posting here and on a couple of other boards.

Unique to this environment, anonymous to the general population. Where's Waldo? Can you find him in the crowd? :)

That, after some idiot harvested real names off Usenet and I received 10,000 bounce messages from ISP's, 'recipient unknown', for some stiffener spam. Plus a couple of real replies. The funniest was from some lady in a State agency outraged that her work email was used to offer help with her marital problems. :eek:

The Internet isn't the same any more. Anonymity is now the norm, and needed.

/ Google frustration
Glad to see you looked at where it was and your sense of humour, I am sure that somewhere someone has a worse dilemma, I wonder what our forefathers were thinking when they named some places.

/ Google frustration #6  
Does your Shire have a Business Enterprise Centre or Chamber of Commerce?

Mine does (Break O'Day) and publishes an annual book of 'local' businesses... including shed builders. Either is a start.

/ Google frustration #7  
Simple. Use a nearby town or use zip code

/ Google frustration #8  
I like @Wagtail's suggestions, but in case they aren't helpful, you might try Google maps, and use the search nearby function once you are centered on your area. It is a different way to get geographic results without directly using place names.
FWIW: when I searched for "carport builders" in the map, my quickie search came up with "Fair Dinkum sheds" and "Sale & District Garage Doors". I suspect if you play around with other words plus carport you may find better results.

All the best,

Peter

/ Google frustration #10  
I get something like this, with a list to the left.

884AF5C8-19E3-4A3A-9442-927D99E48782.jpeg