Gooseneck ball installation

/ Gooseneck ball installation #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
I need to repostition the gooseneck ball on my 99 F250. New bed will probably mean I need to move the ball rearward a little to miss the dump cylinder. How far behind axle center can th ball be? Probably not going to be pulling real heavy loads, doubt I will ever go over 10-12 k trailer load. Normal gooseneck loads are moving empty or lightly loaded trailers on the yard and a few 3 horse trailers or 16' stock trailers.

/ Gooseneck ball installation #2  
I always thought that about six inches in front of center was optimal but not sure so I did a search. Tell you what, I don't have the time to read the results but there is alot of info to glean over. It has been awhile since I have seen it but I have seen this stake body dually with the hitch all the way behind the body.

I think it was a small IH or something so it was a bit stouter than an F250. I suppose the setup was due to a dumping stake bed. By the way, the trailer was a tandem dually dump.

/ Gooseneck ball installation #4  
Your installing a dump bend? and want to keep the g/n?
That's how I read it also, I don't see how could in a dump bed,not being able to bolt/weld to frame. Maybe just moving empty trailers welding ball to steel bed okay but never dealt with a dump bed.

/ Gooseneck ball installation #5  
Most hitch manufactures recommend 4" to 6" ahead of the axle, so some of the weight is transferred to the front axle.

Anything behind the axle will make the front end lighter with the trailer hooked on.

/ Gooseneck ball installation #6  
I just love you dummy's that think we are fully aware of your project . WTF. are you doing ?

/ Gooseneck ball installation #7  
No need for that, just ask for some more info. The original post is brief but I got it. He want's to put a dump bed on an F250 yet still be able to pull a gooseneck. Dump bed hydraulics often interfere with a ball. Myself, I would go with cylinders mounted on either side of the truck frame or a front mounted verticle cylinder.

/ Gooseneck ball installation
QRTRHRS, you are correct.99'F250 SD extended cab, V10 4x4. We replaced the rusted pickup bed with 7' flat dump. Used a center mounted 30" cylinder with a old Northern electric/hyd pump. Best I can figure the old bed, bumper weighed about 350 lbs,the new bed,pump,cylinder is 1000 lbs, so I weigh about 650 lbs more. Total truck weight now is 7400. The gooseneck ball is frame mounted, about 6" behind the rear axle, it was centered before the conversion. I know that is not ideal, but that was where it would fit. Thought about using two sidemounted cylinders, but they just didn't seem t fit and I would had to have a bigger pump tank. I don't pull heavy loads, so I think I will be ok, it just won't ride or pull like a more forward mounted hitch.
Not sure what the dump is rated, but it did dump 1 ton of gravel yesterday, which is about as much as I want on the truck anyway. So far, I'm happy. Pictures soon

/ Gooseneck ball installation
IMG_3867.jpgIMG_3868.jpgIMG_3870.jpgIMG_3872.jpg
As promised, here are some pictures. 99' 250SD, V-10, 4x4. New steel bed, 7', electric/hydraulic dump, frame mounted goseneck hitch. Bed will be painted this week, truck was painted last month, new RanchHand front bumper.

/ Gooseneck ball installation #10  
that's a nice looking truck, you will probably be ok especially considering that you are still leaps and bounds better than a bumper pull hitch as far as weight position.