Gooseneck or bumper pull?

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #1  

shooterdon

Elite Member
Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere
Tractor
2019 LS XR4140 HST Cab; 2020 Kawasaki Mule SX; 2021 Bad Boy 54" ZT Elite
Which one is safer and more forgiving with respect to trailer load balancing?

Which one is easier to back up?

Looking at a 14-16k GVWR trailer.

Last edited:
   / Gooseneck or bumper pull? #5  
Like riptides said it depends on what is pulling it as well as what is it hauling. With a gooseneck the truck carries more of the weight. Especially if the trailer axles are mounted towards the back of the trailer.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #6  

Goose Neck hands down but you'll need a suitable pickup truck to pull one with. My Kaufman 28 foot tandem axle GN is for sale if you are interested. Has new tires and brakes on it but you will need at least a 3/4 ton pickup to pull it with. Nice thing about a GN is the load is carried on the trailer, not on your bumper. You cannot pull one with a weine truck. Mine is rated for 14 on the deck btw and has loading ramps. I've hauled my M9's on it many times. Round bales too.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #8  
Everyone tells me gooseneck is the one to buy, then most of your buddies can’t borrow it.
Fair statement but around here, most everyone has a GN hitch ball in their pickup bed.... 2 7/8" balls are the thing here...

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #9  
GN

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #10  

1. Goose neck hands down for being more forgiving on load placement.
2. Both are easy to back, IMO you can actually jack knife a goose neck and back it in a tighter spot , but a bumper pull will follow a pick-up better when pulling into a place.