Goosenecks: 17.5 single wheel vs tandem dually revisited

/ Goosenecks: 17.5 single wheel vs tandem dually revisited #11  
I think that pipe running down the center is called a torque tube or something like that. However, I do NOT understand its purpose? I have worked on lots of flatbed semi-trailers, and I have never seen one on them.

PS that's a nice trailer!

/ Goosenecks: 17.5 single wheel vs tandem dually revisited #12  
Thank you. Yes, some manufacturers call it a torque tube, Diamond C calls it sway control, just to be fancy I think:D It helps control bed twist especially in the longer decks. By design, a gooseneck doesn't support twist like a flatbed can.

0422211624.jpg

/ Goosenecks: 17.5 single wheel vs tandem dually revisited #13  
Adding to the great info so far. I think duals offer more stability and less load sway.

/ Goosenecks: 17.5 single wheel vs tandem dually revisited #14  
Duals are great flotation as you are putting more sq inches of tire surface on the ground.
This morning I hauled a load of hay. Just as the grounds surface was thawing, I had enough flotation to get out of the field before the tires started sinking.

On a truck, I’d actually prefer a super single, but more for traction than flotation on the drive axles. Thats why you see so many concrete trucks equipped with them to get around those muddy job sites.

/ Goosenecks: 17.5 single wheel vs tandem dually revisited #15  
Another thing to consider if you go with the 17.5" super single is you can also get aluminum wheels to save even more weights. That is what I did on my 16k gooseneck. I like the look and they are considerably lighter than the steel wheels. Another advantage of the singles is they are easier to inspect and set tire pressures. The
Sharp looking tilt-deck. How do you like it?

/ Goosenecks: 17.5 single wheel vs tandem dually revisited #16  
I have a SS diamond C LPX 208 18k Gooseneck. Great trailer. Singles are great to have a lower deck. I can stack hay 3 high, 3x3x8, and still reach the top without having to push it off.

/ Goosenecks: 17.5 single wheel vs tandem dually revisited #17  
Couldn’t get rid of my 32’ Diamond C GN fast enough. Then got me an H&H Speedloader 26 footer, 102”w, 17.5 SS, 16k full tilt. Sturdy, steady and an easy puller. Empty, my mpg barely changes. My truck can pull 20k by lower hitch with 2k on the tongue.
9954C278-DD0E-47E7-B942-55EFE71E86EF.png

/ Goosenecks: 17.5 single wheel vs tandem dually revisited #18  
Couldn’t get rid of my 32’ Diamond C GN fast enough. Then got me an H&H Speedloader 26 footer, 102”w, 17.5 SS, 16k full tilt. Sturdy, steady and an easy puller. Empty, my mpg barely changes. My truck can pull 20k by lower hitch with 2k on the tongue. View attachment 775998
Nice looking trailer. In my unlevel world I couldn't deal with the overhang. I drag the dovetail on my deckover GN...... :sneaky:

/ Goosenecks: 17.5 single wheel vs tandem dually revisited #19  
MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEW YEAR
always eat your desert first:
don't have to make room for it
it always tastes better
you don't have to fight the kiddos for it

Info from YOUTUBE tractor hookup

willy