gopher control

/ gopher control #1  

Keoke

Gold Member
Tractor
JD-970
Any ideas on what to line a raised garden bed box with to keep the gophers out. I currently use galvanized wire mesh but it rots out in a couple years. Is there anything else out there that will last longer then the galvanized wire mesh??
Also, does anyone know anything about a propane/oxygen injector gadget that is supposed to be the ABSOULTE gopher eliminator?

thanks,
george

/ gopher control #2  
Keoke,
Don't have any personal experience with them. Not many gophers around here, but as far as your propane/oxygen device, I think this may be what your thinking of.
Hope that helps,
Hoss

jdtsc.gif

/ gopher control #4  
George-
There is also a better grade of "hardware cloth" than the usual thinly plated wire mesh found at home centers. It is made of heavier wire and is hot-dip galvanized. You may have to go to a lumberyard or steel supply to find it.
I have had some success flooding them out, but only on flat ground and in the springtime. At present, my most effective means are cats and owls. A local farmer has put up several owl houses, and claims a significant reduction in the gopher population.
I am currently looking at a Solex Gopher Killer, a 3pt implement that somewhat resembles a subsoiler with a tube at the bottom which creates a tunnel and deposits poison bait in it. It is supposedly quite effective. Apparently the gopher, being territorial, will explore the new tunnel. The device is made by Solex in Dixon, CA (916) 678-5533.
BTW- if you're concerned (as I am) about secondary poisoning of pets and predators, there are baits out there that use zinc phosphide, which has a clean record in this regard. The trouble is, it's hard to find.

waver.gif
<font color=green>stan</font color=green>

/ gopher control #5  
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

ABSOULTE gopher eliminator?

<hr></blockquote>

.270 and/or .223 works pretty well