Got a call ... and found a mess

/ Got a call ... and found a mess #1  

Qapla

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D HST 4WD FEL/BH
We have a NH TC40D with a front loader and a BH. It usually lives at my place, but it is actually shared with my in-laws (my father-in-law actually paid for it).

My BIL needed it so I made sure it was working and ready to leave my place. They came and picked it up on a Wed. My FIL called me on Fri - it wasn't running, could I look at it.

It was Monday before my Brother and I could go there and see what the problem was. What we found .......

All the fuel lines had been disconnected from the injector pump to the injectors :rolleyes: They cracked the plastic bowl on the fuel inlet :eek: All the plunger assemblies were lose :shocked: Most of the cowling was removed from the dash area.:confused3:

We were told there was a lot of "junk/slime" in the bowl and they had to clean out all the lines :confused: Thing is, I had checked that the bowl was clean before the tractor left.:banghead:

My BIL has a new SIL (son-in-law) who is "supposed" to have been a diesel mechanic :duh:

They told my FIL that either the fuel pump was bad or the injector pump needed replacing. Well, the fuel pump IS new and the injector pump was recently rebuilt.

After putting all the lines and such back on I tested it to see if it just needed bleeding. It did not seem to be getting fuel through the injector pump. I checked that fuel was actually being pumped to the injector pump and we were good there. I noticed again that the cowling was off from the dash area and saw that the wire going to the injector pump looked like it might be lose :pullinghair: I finished removing the wire and connected it straight to the battery. Didn't help. So, I removed the fuel shutoff solenoid and the injector pump shot fuel when we rolled the motor over.

I bled the lines and cranked the tractor right up :thumbsup: Had to use the hydraulics to stall it to make it shut off :mischievous:

Checked the solenoid and it would not operate even connected straight to the battery :scratchchin: it made a "squishing noise" when I pushed the plunger in by hand :thumbdown:

Called the dealer and they had one in stock. Went and picked it up, put it on and the tractor is back running just fine :eek:ath:

My FIL was happy that the tractor is back running but he was not happy with them taking things apart when they really did not know what they were doing.

Last edited:
   / Got a call ... and found a mess #2  
Divorce lawyer right away. Your SIL will never quit screwing things up. Maybe he was thinking Vin Diesel. Buy your own stuff and neither a borrower nor a lender be.

/ Got a call ... and found a mess
Guess I should have been a bit more descriptive - in this case SIL = Son-in-law. My BIL's daughter's husband

Good thing it is not too late for Edit to work ;)

/ Got a call ... and found a mess #4  
You just paid "rent" on the borrowed equipment and maybe made a payment on your FIL'S daughter, as well. It's all part of the cost of doing business. As for the BIL's SIL, they come and they go. My wife's two sisters have had 6 husbands between them. Enjoy your FIL's tractor.

/ Got a call ... and found a mess
Can't complain about the FIL - besides providing me with a wonderful wife, he bought the TC40D for me to have when he is gone and a 45 HP gear tractor for my BIL.

/ Got a call ... and found a mess #6  
Some people just create bigger problems for themselves, I have seen engines pulled apart for a faulty fuel solenoid.

/ Got a call ... and found a mess #7  
<snip>My wife's two sisters have had 6 husbands between them. <snip>
Now that just reads WRONG :)

I've been bit by similar "experts" in the family. Usually they start a project to "help", get mired down, and are embarassed to admit they messed up.
I've got to tear the dryall out of ANOTHER bathroom because someone "thought" they could strip the wallpaper off and repaint it. Instead they crater the drywall, say sorry, and I get stuck either skimcoating an 8x8 area or just replacing the drywall.

/ Got a call ... and found a mess #9  
Could have been worse, like -20C in a snow storm in the middle of a field.:eek::confused2::p

/ Got a call ... and found a mess #10  
WOW! You married his daughter and he threw in a tractor. Talk about a sweet deal. ;)

Can't complain about the FIL - besides providing me with a wonderful wife, he bought the TC40D for me to have when he is gone and a 45 HP gear tractor for my BIL.