Got a new Custom Barrel for my Rifle

/ Got a new Custom Barrel for my Rifle #1  

SkyPup

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L-39 GST TLB, Kubota L3130GST, Massey 1030 HST, Kubota ZD-21 ProDecK, Two Euro VW TDIs
UPS showed up right when I got home from work to deliver my custom Match Grade Machine Thompson Center Contender barrel in .223 Remington with a 20" crowned barrel and a 1:7" twist rate.

After I fed all the horses and dogs, I got right to work setting up the new rifle accouterments.

I mounted a new Redfield Revolution 3X9-50mm scope on a set of Burris XTR Low Mount rings in the custom MGM made base rail and took her out back to try her on the target range @ 50 yards using my handloaded 75 grain Hornady OTM shells.

Took the scope out back and put in a Cabelas .223 laser shell and zeroed the scope again the red laser dot on the side of my barn @ 50 yards.

First three shots out of the new barrel on the backyard target range were in a tight group right below and to the left of the bullseye. Next three were on the right of the bullseye and the final three before it got too dark to shoot were in a 1/2" group about 1/2" dead center above the bullsye!

No evidence of keyholing and the rifle handles the heavy Open Tip Match handloads for the SIG 556s real nice!

TC%202.jpg

TC%201.jpg

Feral Hogs Beware :D

/ Got a new Custom Barrel for my Rifle
The T/C Custom shop only has 1:12" twist barrels for lightweight varmint bullets. That slow twist rate will not stabilize bullets over about 60 grains or so causing them to yaw and tumble in flight.

I had this barrel custom made with a 1:7" twist to stabilize the specialized heavy Open Tip Match 75-77 grain Hornady, Sierra, Nosler long range bullets. These bullets exit spinning at over 300,000 rpm to keep them highly accurate.

It is a Match Grade Machine (MGM) custom barrel:

Match Grade Machine Custom Thompson Center Encore, Contender, and G2 barrels - MGM

Last edited:
   / Got a new Custom Barrel for my Rifle #4  
I see. I know a fellow who's trying to get a custom barrel for his Encore and I think he's looking at them as well. Said it was in Utah.

Last edited:
   / Got a new Custom Barrel for my Rifle #5  
Very nice! Should help out on those hogs. :thumbsup:

/ Got a new Custom Barrel for my Rifle
I'm getting 1/4" groups at 100 yards with full power 5.56mm NATO handloads with Sierra 77 grain MatchPoints now, so those hogs will sweating it big time the next time hey see me and I see them!!! :D