Got a new saw and pulled out my 20 yo saw..ms290

/ Got a new saw and pulled out my 20 yo saw..ms290 #1  

Hersheyfarm

Veteran Member
And it started right up. 5 pulse and it it was going. Been sitting years, like 8. I did dump what was in it. Cleaned it up and put new spark plug, filter, and chain. The saw i use most is a ms180 my wife bought me years ago. It’s small and light and i only use it to clear fences after a storm. But just bought a saw at a neighbors benefit, paid $800 for a ms271. Been breaking it in. 20” bar and its maybe a little big for it. Like it a lot, the new series farmboss is quite different from my 290. Dealer i got new chains from said i should take the 18” from the 290 and put it on the new 271. I do like the reach of the 20” and will be good delimbing cedar. Anyways, getting ready to start cutting and milling with sawmill I’m buying, so into the chainsaw vortex. Wondering how much better the stihl professional grade saws cut cause these cut pretty good.

/ Got a new saw and pulled out my 20 yo saw..ms290 #2  
I have a ms290 that I use monthly. I bought in new just before they went to the ms291 model. It's a great all around saw for me.

I also have a old ms460. It's a beast of a saw and heavy so you dont want to do anything but buck up fire wood with it...that's basicly all I ever do with it.

/ Got a new saw and pulled out my 20 yo saw..ms290 #3  
I have an MS029 Super which I believe is now the MS290 model. The zero was moved around on a lot of models.

/ Got a new saw and pulled out my 20 yo saw..ms290 #4  
Like I said multiple times in the past, the only difference between a good saw and an excellent one is the sharpness of the chain loop. Brand means nothing. Loop sharpness means everything.

/ Got a new saw and pulled out my 20 yo saw..ms290 #5  
I have a 290 myself that I'm going to sell shortly. Has a 20" greaseable roller nose bar on it and very, very low hours too. Steady diet of synthetic fuel and quality bar oil. Nice saw but I prefer the Echo Timber Wolf I just bought.