Got dog troubles! Don't know what to do....

/ Got dog troubles! Don't know what to do.... #41  
Wow, cat_driver, I put you in the category of experienced dog expert. I respect someone who backs up their actions by explaining, rationally, their skills and experience leading to the decision.

As a rancher who is around many kinds of animals, many situations arise requiring assessment (sometimes in an instant) and action which on occasion must be lethal. Such quick thinking and actions once were a regular occurrence, before we mostly lived in cities. Choosing between people and any animal is a no brainer. I have been around dogs while growing up and as an adult. A well trained, well behaved dog is a total joy. But, when it cannot be trusted, it's gotta go.

/ Got dog troubles! Don't know what to do.... #42  
I'm so tired of hearing this. The dog has anxiety issues, obedience training will do nothing for that.

I'm not sure those two things are totally unrelated. Obedience training builds the dog's self-confidence by reinforcing its "pack position" and gaining trust in the human. Those should both contribute to lower anxiety. Not saying that is a cure for anxiety but it sure won't hurt.

/ Got dog troubles! Don't know what to do.... #43  
I'm so tired of hearing this. The dog has anxiety issues, obedience training will do nothing for that.
The two go hand in hand. The smarter a dog is, the more easily it will get bored, and start getting into trouble. A good trainer will also suggest ways to alleviat the dogs boredom. Besides, it sounds like your family needs some training. ;)

Another suggestion though, have you tried leaving a radio on for him while you're away?

Edit;
Dave, you posted while I was typing, I really wasn't trying to steal your thunder. :D

/ Got dog troubles! Don't know what to do.... #44  
I don't know if this was stated but try playing a radio or TV when you are away and he is in the kennel. We did this with one of our dogs and it kept him calm while we were away. He could hear and/or see human voices and calmed him down.He is use to human noises and when you leave he feels abandon, anxious. After a few months of this he no longer needed the sound.

/ Got dog troubles! Don't know what to do.... #45  
The two go hand in hand. The smarter a dog is, the more easily it will get bored, and start getting into trouble. A good trainer will also suggest ways to alleviat the dogs boredom. Besides, it sounds like your family needs some training. ;)

Another suggestion though, have you tried leaving a radio on for him while you're away?

Edit;
Dave, you posted while I was typing, I really wasn't trying to steal your thunder. :D

Lol... our JRT was the first ever failure with a very well respected trainer here. It was pretty interesting to see this guy lose his cool with Ignatius Maximus....

Iggy.jpg

/ Got dog troubles! Don't know what to do.... #46  
Wow what a gem! - SERIOUSLY, you want me to "gamble" with my child's life? SERIOUSLY I'm a gem because I won't keep a designated Most Dangerous Dog listed below. SERIOUSLY I'm a gem because I should have waited till he mauled my daughter THEN and only THEN get rid of him.

Nope, not one problem with the dog - BUT the Rottweiler has been known as a vicious dog to kids because it does not understand the small size of a child compared to an adult. The Rottweiler is listed as a Dangerous Dog Breeds. We had the dog for years before we had a child. We didn't expect to have a child or we would not have purchased the dog.

Bottom line it was a judgement call, and as much as we loved the dog, it's a no brainer when it comes to the safety of your child. Just like I wouldn't leave her near a swimming pool alone, ride in the back of a pick up truck alone etc etc. I just felt it was prudent to eliminate any danger in her life that I could.

An animal is an animal and ALL animals do what they do. Ask Siegfried and Roy how safe their "tamed" Tiger was or all the grizzly bear trainers that were killed by "trained" bears.

It just wasn't worth it TO BE - to others it may be a different story, but FOR ME, keeping the that dog around my child was not a gamble I was willing to make.

As a side not - I trained a police dog for the Tucson Police department. I trailed dogs to walk on their hind legs, only eat on my command, crawl towards me on all fours, only react to hand commands, no voice commands, etc.etc. So training was not an issue for me.

I've been around dogs and training them for decades, and no one can stop a dog from doing whatever he wants to do when he wants to. My brother proved that by "teasing" a highly trained dog to push it's limits. He found those limits when the dog went for his throat. No amount of yelling commands would stop the attack, until I was forced to choke the dog out.

Wow you trained a dog for the Tuscon police department. Your words, "a", meaning single. That does not make you anyone with any standing in the dog training world. Wow, walking on hind legs crawling on all fours, only react to hand commands, no voice commands, etc, etc. You are not what anyone in the industry would be impressed with.

Yes it was a judgement call you made it. Don't ask me to think that you have good judgement however.

You state that you did not expect to have the child or you would not have purchased the dog. You did have 9 months to figure out what you needed to do if you were not going to keep the dog with the birth of your child. Nine months to find a new home, contact Rottweiler rescue groups etc.
But no as you stated
... but once we brought our daughter into the house - the dog was GONE the next day.

No planning just reaction, just dump the dog in the pound. Real class. You had so many options and you used none of them. Yes, I stand by my statement, you are a real "gem" of a human.

/ Got dog troubles! Don't know what to do.... #47  
Simple - take him to the dog pound. This dog has the potential to injure your son.
I had rottweiler that I adored, but once we brought our daughter into the house - the dog was GONE the next day. Don't care if the dog "would have been no trouble" with the new born, I wasn't going to sit around and find out.
Bottom line it's an ANIMAL not a member of the family ( although some people treat them that way ).
Why that dog is in your hose five minutes after it ....."and steal his mitts off his hands" - is beyond me. So you're trusting that the dog NEXT TIME will be as accurate with your two tear old fingers and NOT RIP THEM OFF HIS HAND.

As much as I considered my Mickey (RIP) and my Minnie to be my furry kids, I never allowed a situation where they could harm a child to come into existence. I love them both dearly but like you I know that they are an animal first and foremost with all or at least many of the instincts their ancestors had. Training can only overcome those instincts to a certain degree and the stronger the instinct the more likely it is to resurface.

Given the OP's situation, your advice to take the dog to the pound is decisive and correct.