Got my first set of pallet forks

/ Got my first set of pallet forks #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
42" forks. I cannot see the tips when it is level and in position to pick up a pallet. Thinking maybe I should have gotten 48 inchers. I haven't used them much yet. Maybe I'll figure things out better once I've used them some more. Got any suggestions or hints that might help me with the learning curve?

/ Got my first set of pallet forks #2  
Stand up I guess.. I have the 48's and my seat sits high so I can see them pretty well.. You have a picture of you're folks, maybe we can figure something out..

/ Got my first set of pallet forks #3  
You have a bigger machine than me but yeah many times, I stand up and inch it closer by tapping my hydro pedal. I also have to do this when swapping out FEL implements using my QA. I can't see the 'hook' if I don't stand up.

/ Got my first set of pallet forks #4  
Set out a couple of pallets. Put some kind of weight on them. Start practicing. Then try picking them up when thier emtpy, they will have a tendacy to slide around unless your just right. When you think your getting the hang of it set a pretty full bucket of water on one. Then practice some more

Might as well get the hang of it before your trying to pickup something your not wanting to scratch or dent. Even months from now it does not hurt to pick up a item or two for practice before you try to remove a item from the back of the pickup or trailor or whatever. Probably already know to keep the forks as low as you can when transporting a pallet, saftey, etc. Also keep in mind its REAL EASY to stab or scratch nearby items with your forks, especially when turning.

Congrats on your purchase. Their likely going to be even more useful than your expecting.

/ Got my first set of pallet forks #5  
42" forks. I cannot see the tips when it is level and in position to pick up a pallet. Thinking maybe I should have gotten 48 inchers. I haven't used them much yet. Maybe I'll figure things out better once I've used them some more. Got any suggestions or hints that might help me with the learning curve?

I also recently got a set of 42 inch pallet forks for use on my NH TC40A. And I also cannot see the tips of the fork when sitting. I've learned that when my bucket is level (as shown by the bucket level indicator) then my forks are also level. I also space the forks so that they are equidistant from the center of the bucket. So now I just level the bucket on the ground and drive forward a bit with the center of the bucket in the center of the load and all is good. I got a lot of practice this summer using the forks to haul a 4 foot by 4 foot cube partially filled with water out to the pig pastures...

/ Got my first set of pallet forks
I also recently got a set of 42 inch pallet forks for use on my NH TC40A. And I also cannot see the tips of the fork when sitting. I've learned that when my bucket is level (as shown by the bucket level indicator) then my forks are also level. I also space the forks so that they are equidistant from the center of the bucket. So now I just level the bucket on the ground and drive forward a bit with the center of the bucket in the center of the load and all is good. I got a lot of practice this summer using the forks to haul a 4 foot by 4 foot cube partially filled with water out to the pig pastures...

Are yours clamp on forks? Mine are regular forks. I have a set of clamp on ones and seeing the tips is also a problem with them. I thought the new forks would eliminate the problem but not so.

/ Got my first set of pallet forks #7  
When I was looking at tractors, I noticed the seat height was pretty low on Kubota and JD compared to Massey. Didn't really look at anything else but I found that sitting on those tractors I couldn't see the bucket very well and it's actually one of the reasons I bought the tractor I did..

/ Got my first set of pallet forks #8  
Paint the tips with some cheap paint, preferably white or something with high contrast. The paint wears off, so use something cheap & redo it occasionally.

I can't see the ends of the forks on my L4060 either. The painted tips help a bit, especially as a reference as they disappear behind the hood. After a but of use/practice, you develop some techniques & markers to know where the tips are at.

/ Got my first set of pallet forks #9  
I have experienced a lot of problems with pallet forks, a few years ago I built our house only using the Daedong 90 for labour. Lots of steel and materials to shift, it very difficult to at what angle the forks approach as well as position. My answer was to install a reversing camera to to lower rear of the forks, with a detachable cable leading to a 6" screen in the cab. Being 72 yld at the time I needed all the help I could get. Hope this might help someone out there.

/ Got my first set of pallet forks #10  
Paint the tips with some cheap paint, preferably white or something with high contrast. The paint wears off, so use something cheap & redo it occasionally.

I can't see the ends of the forks on my L4060 either. The painted tips help a bit, especially as a reference as they disappear behind the hood. After a but of use/practice, you develop some techniques & markers to know where the tips are at.

X2, I paint the tips fluorescent orange. It also helps keep me from hitting my ankles on them when working around the forks. :duh: