Got nailed twice in 2 days!

/ Got nailed twice in 2 days! #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
Went out Thursday to pick up some scattered firewood and suddenly there were a couple dozen black bugs buzzing around my feet. Instantly got stung on the ankle. Got out of there fast, swatted some on my jeans, but that was all. Worst sting I ever had, hurt bad for about 15 hours, then tapered off the next couple days. I had hints of an allergic reaction, a little tightness in the chest and slightly constricted throat, but didn't have to use my kit.

Friday, carefully approaching where I got stung, I could see the nest had been dug up overnight and there was nothing flying around. Probably a raccoon, maybe a skunk, we have had a new pile of black poop in our driveway every night for about a month now.

Later that day walking thru my woods far away from that nest I got hit on my earlobe, kind of like someone snapped me with a rubber band. Couldn't hurt too bad because I had surgery last year on my jaw & they had to cut thru the nerve that serves that area. My earlobe swelled a bit and my ear was red the rest of the day. No other reaction and I am sure it was a different bug. 30 years ago I got stung like that, hit and run, and that was it; don't know what stings like that.

Before this, I hadn't been stung for several years. And there are very few yellow jackets in our area this year--I have only seen 4 so far.

/ Got nailed twice in 2 days! #2  
I've never had an allergic reaction to a wasp sting. I got one that flew down the back of my shirt and got me twice about a month ago on a Thursday. No problem, just cussed, it hurt for a few minutes and that was that. The Sunday after that one nailed me on the back of my arm. Whole shoulder swelled, formed a blister where he stung me, chest was tight, I was done for the day and sick for two days. Still have a knot on my arm where he got me. I guess I got too much poison in too short a time, that one scared me. I've been more careful since.

We usually have tons of red wasps and few yellow jackets, this year I've killed 6 yellow jacket nests, but haven't been stung by any of them so far.

/ Got nailed twice in 2 days! #3  
Ah Yes! I know the feeling well, nothing like getting hit with close to two dozen yellow jackets in the woods while brush cutting to wake you up:D
and then cant get away from them, this happen to me a few weeks ago while cutting a pathway through the woods, I needed to turn around so I pulled over straddle of a log and there they came, all I could do was try backing my way out through a 4 ft path while swatting at bee's with one hand , :eek:
out of all the stings the one on on the ear-lobe was the worst, one did get me on the eye brow I was lucky and thankful not to had got it on the eye lid, dummy me was wearing cutoffs, most of the stings were on my legs, I can only think how many my poor old tractor got:cool:
needless to say I had to retire that job until cold weather,:cool:

I have a bro-in-law that cannot take even one sting,he will do as you said swell up and cannot breath, He carries with him a shot for such reasons,

Glad you was OK with your stings

/ Got nailed twice in 2 days! #4  
Sounds like what I call ground bees, which are IMO the most aggressive of all bees you will ever encounter.
They look like small yellow jackets and they will always go out of their way to sting you, just for getting close to their nests. Usually multiple stings too.

Being in the restoration field, working on old buildings I come across bees all the time and usually have no problems at all, once in awhile we have to spray the area just to keep them away from us while we are working, but typically don't have to kill them.

The ground bees have to be napalmed every-time, if you have them on your property near where you have to be, pour some gas down the hole and light a match, else they will not leave you alone and try and make a pin cushion out of your hide.

JB

/ Got nailed twice in 2 days! #5  
My wife made an acquaintance with a nest of yellow jackets Saturday while pulling weeds in one of the flower beds. She had on shorts and a tank top so you can imagine where they got her about 8-9 times. Lots of ice, all over her little body. Luckily she's not allergic to them but she did say she was feeling queasy the better part of the evening

/ Got nailed twice in 2 days! #6  
My wife made an acquaintance with a nest of yellow jackets Saturday while pulling weeds in one of the flower beds. She had on shorts and a tank top so you can imagine where they got her about 8-9 times. Lots of ice, all over her little body. Luckily she's not allergic to them but she did say she was feeling queasy the better part of the evening

See, it sounds like them dang ground dwelling bees.

When ever I've been stung by disturbing a nest under an eave or other part of an old structure, it's one maybe 2 stings, not 8-9 stings!

One time when my sister and I were little kids we jumped into a pile of leaves at my grandmothers house. Man we both got it bad, stung all over, even in our underpants.

JB

/ Got nailed twice in 2 days! #7  
Dusty 3030, it would be a very good idea now that you are sensitized to talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for an epi-pen and keeping it with you.

/ Got nailed twice in 2 days! #8  
Brad_Blazer said:
Dusty 3030, it would be a very good idea now that you are sensitized to talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for an epi-pen and keeping it with you.

Picked it up at the pharmacy thus past Saturday thanks for the advice.
That one scared me.

/ Got nailed twice in 2 days! #9  
My sister lives in upstate NY, she was driving down her rural road saw a "zombie" in overalls wondering on the side of the road. Turns out it was her farmer neighbor who has several honeybee hives in a field close to my sister's place. Apparently he spooked them into a swarm when he got to close to the hives with his tractor/mower, and they attacked him.

The guy was delirious, having a terrible reaction to the many dozen stings. She only recognized him by his clothes and where he was. she brought him to his house and his wife gave him the epinephrine which I'm sure saved his life.

JB.

/ Got nailed twice in 2 days!
Dusty & others who are allergic:

Check into getting an Anatote. Ana-Tote Auto Injector Case - Anatote - EpiPen Accessories - Food Allergy - AchooAllergy.com

It's a little carrying case for the Epipen that hooks onto a belt loop or you can put it on your belt. It comes with a ring that orients it upside down; I wouldn't carry it that way as anything can pull the flap open and you could loose the Epipen. I hang it from a belt loop with a little caribiner. They last maybe 5 years before they get worn and need replacement.